NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-26-2024, 10:35 AM

Default 14 july 1948 satchel paige vs jackie robinson

Requesting an assist in finding an official box score, if one exists, for an exhibition game that was played the day after the All Star game on July 14, 1948. The game was between the Cleveland Indians and Brooklyn Dodgers and was played In Municipal Stadium. What is unique about this game, it featured not only Jackie Robinson, Roy Campanella, Larry Doby but also the newly signed Satchel Paige.

Satchel signed with Indians on July 7, 1948, appeared in his first game on July 9, 1948 against the St. Louis Browns, and now was going to make an appearance against the Brooklyn Dodgers on July 14, 1948.

From the information I can find so far, Satchel appeared in relief in the 7th and 8th innings of that game.

I own an official program and scorecard from the game. The scorecard has been filled out, and I'm trying to find additional information on who Satchel pitched to. If in fact he pitched in the 7th and 8th inning, he may have pitched to both Jackie Robinson and Roy Campanella. I'm just trying to verify from a reliable source.

As pictured in the attached, the scorecard has been filled out - but I don't know if that's really happened.

Also, does anyone out there have any information where Satchel Paige may have pitched to Jackie Robinson in addition to this game (other than the Negro Leagues).

Also, take a moment and read the article regarding the exhibition game. It states there was a foot race between Jackie Robinson and Larry Doby as a side attraction! Could you imagine watching that!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Modified 1A.jpg (207.0 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg Modified 1B.jpg (208.4 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg Modified 1C.jpg (208.4 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg Modified 1D.jpg (222.0 KB, 178 views)
Old 05-26-2024, 09:20 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Neat program moved to the front to try to get some extra eyes and help...

Last edited by Leon; 05-26-2024 at 11:03 PM.
Old 05-26-2024, 10:07 PM
R0ck Cund.iff

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
Requesting an assist in finding an official box score, if one exists, for an exhibition game that was played the day after the All Star game on July 14, 1948. The game was between the Cleveland Indians and Brooklyn Dodgers and was played In Municipal Stadium. What is unique about this game, it featured not only Jackie Robinson, Roy Campanella, Larry Doby but also the newly signed Satchel Paige.

Satchel signed with Indians on July 7, 1948, appeared in his first game on July 9, 1948 against the St. Louis Browns, and now was going to make an appearance against the Brooklyn Dodgers on July 14, 1948.

From the information I can find so far, Satchel appeared in relief in the 7th and 8th innings of that game.

I own an official program and scorecard from the game. The scorecard has been filled out, and I'm trying to find additional information on who Satchel pitched to. If in fact he pitched in the 7th and 8th inning, he may have pitched to both Jackie Robinson and Roy Campanella. I'm just trying to verify from a reliable source.

As pictured in the attached, the scorecard has been filled out - but I don't know if that's really happened.

Also, does anyone out there have any information where Satchel Paige may have pitched to Jackie Robinson in addition to this game (other than the Negro Leagues).

Also, take a moment and read the article regarding the exhibition game. It states there was a foot race between Jackie Robinson and Larry Doby as a side attraction! Could you imagine watching that!
Man, as a Jackie collector, would love to have that program!
Old 05-26-2024, 10:25 PM
W@de

There was a lot of snapshots sold on ebay not too long ago of this game. Fumbled acquiring any of them.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Old Yesterday, 12:29 PM

Thanks everyone and again, if anyone knows where I might find a more official record of the game that would be fantastic.

The previous owner was a die hard Indians fan that's for sure. There were several scorecards and programs that are pretty rare that I've never before had the chance to obtain. One was a 1957 Indians vs White Sox first game of the year, featuring none other than Roger Maris' first game. I'm a pretty big Maris fan, so that is pretty cool also.

Also a big thank you to Leon for moving this thread for more exposure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Maris Mod 1.jpg (201.6 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg Maris Mod 2.jpg (203.3 KB, 72 views)
Old Yesterday, 01:19 PM
Jay Shumsky

I found this from a Google search. I'm not sure if it's from the date of your program, but the article about the game does say Paige pitched the 7th and 8th innings, but no mention of him facing Robinson or Campanella. July 14, 1948 was a Wednesday so seems like this could be about that game.

https://newspapers.library.in.gov/?a...xt-txIN-------

Last edited by jayshum; Yesterday at 01:21 PM.
Old Yesterday, 01:35 PM
Jeff Lazarus

This appears to be the game...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dodgers_vs_Indians_July_14__1948_.jpg (283.8 KB, 53 views)
Old Yesterday, 01:45 PM

Thanks Jay, yes it is the same exhibition game. I don't think the Indians ever played the Dodgers, except for this game as they were in different leagues.

I can't imagine a game when the first 4 black players in baseball played a game against each other except this one - which I didn't even know happened until I got the scorecard. When I first got it I couldn't figure out what it could possibly be until I stumbled across an SI article and Wiki article about Paige pitching in this game.

The scorecard is pristine for its age. Crazy how things go sometime!
Old Yesterday, 02:14 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topnotchsy View Post
This appears to be the game...
This article has a lot more details than what I found and indicates Paige didn't pitch to Robinson or Campanella. Some of the batters faced don't match up to the scorecard so it looks like the person keeping score didn't include all of the substitutions that were made.
Old Yesterday, 02:18 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
Thanks Jay, yes it is the same exhibition game. I don't think the Indians ever played the Dodgers, except for this game as they were in different leagues.

I can't imagine a game when the first 4 black players in baseball played a game against each other except this one - which I didn't even know happened until I got the scorecard. When I first got it I couldn't figure out what it could possibly be until I stumbled across an SI article and Wiki article about Paige pitching in this game.

The scorecard is pristine for its age. Crazy how things go sometime!
It's a fabulous piece, but for the sake of accuracy, they were not the first 4 black players. Thompson (who was famous for his HR), Brown (who is a HOFer but was old by the time integration occurred), and Bankhead (the first black pitcher) proceeded Campanella and Paige.

1. Jackie Robinson April 15, 1947
2. Larry Doby July 5, 1947
3. Hank Thompson July 17, 1947
4. Willard Brown July 19, 1947
5. Dan Bankhead August 26, 1947
6. Roy Campanella April 20l, 1948
7. Satchel Paige July 9, 1948

Regarding an earlier point, I am not sure Paige would have pitched to Jackie in the Negro Leagues in an actual game. They both played for the KC Monarchs. It is certainly possible that there were intersquad exhibition games, but not official Negro League games. (Whether they competed in a barnstorming tournament is also possible. I have a program where Jackie played for the same KC Royals barnstorming squad as Paige, but have never seen a game they played against each other, at least to my recollection now.)

Last edited by Topnotchsy; Yesterday at 02:20 PM.
Old Yesterday, 02:21 PM

Fun reading how the 7th & 8th innings transpired with Paige pitching.

"Paige Steals Show ... Thunderous ovation ... proceed to humiliate the National Leaguers." "Struck out the side on 12 pitches in the 7th" Like Wow !

Love it ! Thanks for sharing.
Old Yesterday, 02:47 PM

A big thank you to everyone that responded. I sincerely appreciate the information and I do stand corrected about the 1st players, etc.

There was never a doubt in my mind the scorecard was authentic, but I was REALLY wishing that Paige had pitched to Robinson!

What a game that I never knew existed!