NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-20-2005, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Default tom candiotti collection in smr

Posted By: mike p

who cares about tom candiotti? anyone can assemble a world-class collection when you have countless thousands of dollars at your disposal. he can spend 200k on the plank t-206 with no problem. it is much more interesting to hear about people who collect on a budget.

Old 05-20-2005, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jamie

speaking as a collector who is on a budget, id much rather read about candiotti's

Old 05-20-2005, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I never had the money that Candiotti has, but I did have a pretty big budget for cards in the 80s. Having been on both sides, I'm much more impressed with collections on a very small budget and much more satisfied with my collection now than when I had almost unlimited funds to throw at cards.

Sure, it's neat to see the things that big bucks can buy, but it's much more impressive to see someone build a respectible collection on a limited budget than it is to see a collection that's built where money is no object.

Jay

I like to sit outside drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home I would be arrested, so I go to baseball games and fit right in.

Old 05-20-2005, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: robert a

Mike.

I agree with you. Wow...some guy with tons of cash bought something! How exciting.

Old 05-20-2005, 04:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Isn't this board filled with guys (and a gal) who have tons of cash to spend on things? I personally don't care how much someone spends on their collection, I just like to look at cool things. If Candiotti has a collection worth looking at, what's the problem?

Dan

Old 05-20-2005, 04:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter_Spaeth

I have no problem appreciating cards that I could not possibly own. It only bothers me when people with such cards have an attitude problem towards the rest of us, and I don't get that sense at all about Candiotti or most of the other guys in his league.

Old 05-20-2005, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

As long as he enjoys his collection, that is all that matters. He has paid a fair amount for his stuff, sure, but I am sure he gets just as much enjoyment out of his collection as anybody. I personally don't mind people having nice collections, if nothing else it is fun to look at neat stuff. Heck, I saw a Saleen (a $400,000+ car) the other day, one of the coolest cars I have ever seen, but I am content knowing that I will NEVER own one. Anyways, this is just my opinion.
-Rhett

Old 05-20-2005, 06:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Adam J. Moraine

I agree with Peter Spaeth, 110%. Well said, Peter! I find it amusing that Candiotti owns a PSA 10 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle, yet Candiotti's own baseball cards are valued at NO MORE than 10 cents a piece.

Best regards,

Adam j. Moraine

Old 05-20-2005, 06:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Evanov

I enjoyed the article. Tom has a lot of great cards and he sounds like a nice guy.

Frank

Old 05-20-2005, 06:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Detractors of Candiotti's collection must realize that the cards were not purchased from a fastball savings, but a knuckleball savings.

Old 05-20-2005, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

Candiotti has an amazing collection and I enjoyed reading about it and seeing pictures of some of the cards. It is interesting to me to see what grabs the attention of all sorts of collectors, from those on a budget to those for whom the sky is the limit and everywhere in between. I much rather have those with some of the great collections share them with the rest of us in whatever way they see fit, than have them stowed away where nobody will ever see them and appreciate them. Candiotti has some of the greatest cards in the hobby which I am sure he enjoys as much as any of us (he may well be a lurker here) enjoy our collections. I, for one, am happy he dedided to share them.I wish more of the big collectors would let their collections be known. Many of the "real collectors" on this site have collections worth six to seven figures as well.
JimB

Old 05-21-2005, 06:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Jim, I agree completely. First, you've got a high profile guy -- formerly in the very profession that spawned this hobby/obsession of ours -- who has shown a devotion and love to vintage cards. If anything, his interest lends some credibility to what we do. After all, even the subjects of cards themselves worship the old cardboard. Next, the guy speaks about his cards as a child would talk about his favorite toy car -- with zeal, wonderment and elation. I liked Tom Candiotti as a player due to his intelligence, dependability and consistency. I like him 10x more now that I see that we both burn for vintage card collecting.

Old 05-21-2005, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Goldner

Tom and his family have obviously built a beautiful collection, and though i don't know him, i offer my compliments. further, i appreciate that he has shared some of it with us, just as i do, when board members share pictures of cards, in their respective collections.
Though Tom may have financial resources that many collectors don't possess, i don't view that, as being of particular importance. IMO, what is important, is building the best collection possible, with what there is to work with, and being proud of the accomplishment. The rest will take care of itself.

Old 05-21-2005, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

He is a knuckleball pitcher, which makes him a nerd in baseball orthodoxy, which is why he collects cards like the rest of us nerds

Old 05-21-2005, 05:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Wp

He has a lot of PSA 10's. Thats scary.