NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-21-2009, 01:38 PM

Default Modern Card Manufacturers and Pre-War Themed Sets

Hello everyone,

Next week Tri-Star will release their version of the T212 Obak set. In subsuquent weeks, Upper Deck will release a multi/non-sport Goodwin's Champions set and Topps will release another T206 themed set in October. Here is a sampling of what has been released over the the past couple of years.

Baseball:

1.) 2005-2008 Topps Turkey Red
2.) 2006-2009 Topps Allen & Ginter
3.) 2007-2009 Upper Deck Goudey

Also Topps released an insert set last year which featured cards in a variety of designs, including 1933 DeLong, 1941 Goudey and others.

Football:

1.) 2008 Topp's Mayo Cut Plug

Basketball:

1.) 2008/09 Topps T51 Murad

I have noticed that pre-war collectors (who tend to have a lot more money) often scoff "shiny" card releases. However, those "shiny" card enthusiasts seem to be very interested in such vintage themed sets. Questions for N54.

1.) Would you ever collect a vintage/pre-war-themed set from a modern manufacturer? Why? Why Not?

2.) What do you think of these efforts from the card manufacturers?

3.) Why do you think major card manufacturers are producing such sets?

Here is a sale sheet for the Obak product being released next week.....

James

Old 08-21-2009, 07:41 PM
Rich Klein

Default These 'retro" sets have been going on for a while now

Ever since Topps Heritage hit and hit BIG in 2001; companies realized that going back to the future made sense not only as part of their product mix but also tended to be very profitable.

IIRC; Topps did T205; T206 in about 2002-03 and Cracker Jack sets in like 2004-05 amongst others usages of vintage sets. If the years are slightly off I'm sorry; I don't feel like checking a Beckett magazine or the OPG for those details.

In Football; Pacific was way ahead of the game and created Pacific Goudey in 1997. There are tons more -- these are things I can think of off the top of my head.

Collectors loved them -- because they brought back cards they were aware of and were faithful to the idea but featured the modern players from which the manufacturers made their money!

Off Track a little -- and I love the heritage set -- but I was next to John Rumeriez (sic) at the National and we agreed that Topps could, just by being a tad more faithful to the original; have plenty of their "quirks" without needing to create even more. Obviously, in some years, the creation of a quirk or 2 makes sense. But here are some examples of things that should have been done in Heritage.

the 2001 Set -- was brilliantly set up like the original with cards #48 and 49 featuring a braves and a yankees pitcher. However; no one thought of putting the wrong bios on the new set.

And where were the white and grey backs the last couple of years. Why not just mimic the original on that -- you get all the collectors to do master sets; why not add that twist.

There's more but I'm tired And I want to go back and read more about other more explosive threads

Regards
Old 08-21-2009, 07:46 PM
Peter Spaeth

The base sets are fine if you want to collect modern players but the bewildering number and variety of insert cards are annoying.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:51 PM
Rich Klein

Default Peter; that is one reason

Why the number of products in baseball (and the number of manufacturers) have been shrinking in recent years as per the dictum of MLB and MLBPA.

My numbers may be a bit off here; but in 2004 we had approximately 90 different products (or one issued ever 4 days) by 4 manufacturers. If MLB gets their way with Topps (*N.B.* -- I Don't know all these details so this is a guess as a number); there will be between 15-20 products issued in 2010; all by Topps. Of course; Upper Deck still wants to produce cards in 2010; and we'll see what the final decision is. I suspect there will be many twists and turns over the next few months. (Or read that article Bruce posted and see the comments about UD in 2009)

90+ products in 2004 was way to many; especially with the inserts -- and at this point of time; we'll see how many products really should be issued in 2010 and going further.

Rich
Old 08-21-2009, 08:35 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

Topps has been copying older sets for over 60 years now

1948 Magic Photo = 1930 Ray-O-Print & 1938 Foto Fun
1951 Team Cards = T200 Fatima
1951 Redback/Blueback & 1968 Game = 1913 WG5, WG6 & 1936 Goudey
1951 Connie Mack AS & 1964 Standups = 1934 R318 Batter Up & 1937 V300
1955 Doubleheaders = T201 Mecca Double Folder
1956 Pins = 1910 P2
1961 Stamps = T332
1967 Discs = E254 Colgans
1970 Candy Lids = 1937 Dixie Lids
etc.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:19 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

I really like some of the "retro" sets. The only sets I've collected/completed from the past 10 years are the 2001 Topps Heritage (1952 Topps Design), Topps-T205, Upper Deck 1941 Playball, and the Fleer set that looks like 1954 Topps. These are also pretty-much the only complete sets I even have at this point.

I loved the idea of bringing back the T3 design, but it just lost everything to me, by being the small size. If they'd been bigger, even maybe 4" x 6", it would've worked much better, at least in my opinion.

I just like the older, simpler designs. I've been turned-off by the fancy-schmancy, chrome, refractor, psychodelic, computer-generated, SFX garbage of the past ~15-20 years. I want a simple, basic card that shows the player in-uniform, and has their stats (or maybe a writeup similar to 1950 Bowman or T205) on the back. The companies should go back to simple, great photography, like 1953 Bowman color, or 1950 Bowman (especially the Tank Younger FB card!). To me, they kind of ruined the Goudey remakes and Topps-T206, by using what looks like computer-generated photos, instead of real photography or artwork.

I guess it's just like the retro wave in ballpark design in the 1990s. It just took a little bit longer to hit the card market.

Steve

Last edited by Steve D; 08-21-2009 at 11:22 PM.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
The base sets are fine if you want to collect modern players but the bewildering number and variety of insert cards are annoying.
I agree completely.

I'll pick up the stars from the sets if they are cheap (which they always seem to be - Book Value $20, sale price $1 all the time).

It does provide a neat link to the past that may spark interest in the kids of today.