NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 02-19-2022, 01:47 PM
Bill par.sons

Default PSA v SGC value

I know this question as been discussed many times, but in today's market with pricing of the average card at $100 for PSA and $30 for SGC, does that gap really translate into the eventual value to sell a card?
Although I have a good size collection, I've never submitted to either. I do like the SGC background better, but my question goes to: Is SGC that far off the mark in acceptance v PSA?
Thoughts? thx billp
Old 02-19-2022, 02:50 PM
Rob G.

What is your goal in sending your cards in for grading? If solely resale, then based on your sales research ($100 vs $30) then it sounds like PSA is the way to go.

If it is for your own viewing pleasure, you say you like the appearance of SGC holders better, so go that route, assuming you feel it is "worth" it to you to pay $50/card (or whatever they charge) for your card to be in a nice holder.

You could always stay raw until it is time to sell, and let the Auction House deal with the grading (or you can sell raw). Depending on your time table, the grading scene could be entirely different landscape than it is now.

If it is for protection, both similar, but Beckett is thicker but doesn't present as well as PSA/SGC.

If it is for online registry, I think PSA is the only one that has it at the moment and is likely responsible for higher resale value.

If you feel the value is in quality of opinion and grade, I feel they are pretty similar in general. Both have stories of under-grading, over-grading, mis-authenticating, etc. Below (sorry for big size) is a PSA 4 in a major auction right now ... guessing it'd receive a 1 if I submitted. You probably don't need toyour card in a holder to know the grade, but hey its your call.

Good luck in your decision!

Last edited by tiger8mush; 02-19-2022 at 02:50 PM.
Old 02-19-2022, 04:21 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

No matter how many voices (including mine) scream at what a sh*t show PSA has become, their card sales values* run laps around the other TPGs. No question about it. If you're selling, that is seemingly the only way to go.

*This is for cards from the 50's on up, as the pre-war guys may have a different opinion regarding the cards they actively buy and sell.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 02-19-2022, 04:24 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
I know this question as been discussed many times, but in today's market with pricing of the average card at $100 for PSA and $30 for SGC, does that gap really translate into the eventual value to sell a card?
Although I have a good size collection, I've never submitted to either. I do like the SGC background better, but my question goes to: Is SGC that far off the mark in acceptance v PSA?
Thoughts? thx billp
If the person(s) looking to buy a card specifically wants a graded one, it most definitely factors in. If they buy a raw card instead, depending on which TPG they go with, they know they're going to have to pay an extra $100 (+S&H) if they want a PSA graded version, or an extra $30 (+S&H) for an SGC graded version. So if some AH has three of the exact same cards, in pretty much the exact same condition/grade of VG-EX, you would expect the PSA 4 graded one to sell for the most because of the added cost (and time) it would otherwise take the buyer to send it to PSA for grading. The SGC 4 version of the same card would sell for less because it wouldn't cost nearly as much (or currently take anywhere near as much time) for the buyer to send it in to SGC for grading (versus PSA), and the buyer of the raw VG -EX version of the card would pay the least of all because they don't expect or intend to spend anything further to have their raw card graded. And there would likely be an even bigger discount aside from grading fees and costs alone for the raw card versus the PSA or SGC graded ones because of the uncertainty of the raw card coming back with the same VG-EX 4 grade as its graded counterparts, were it eventually sent in for grading at some point in the future.

Of course the grading fees and related costs to get cards graded are not the only factor(s) affecting pricing differentials between graded and raw versions of the same card(s), but they are definitely a contributing factor to the valuations of what would often be considered as otherwise identical cards. And I would surmise that the greater the grading fees and associated grading costs are to the overall value of a card percentagewise, the more those grading fees and costs factor into the overall pricing differentials between the different grading companies and raw versions of the same card(s).
Old 02-19-2022, 05:31 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Kiss

Regarding resale/market value - Darren has it mosty right - PSA rules the roost in post war cards market value with exquisitely rare exception. That said - if your cards are lower value the $70 gap between PSA vs. SGC grading Fee could offset the difference.
Pre war is a different animal where I would say on average they are A LOT closer in market value - with eye appeal seeming to be a large determinant more so than the holder they are in. I will say that there still seems to be a slight preference for PSA graded cards in Pre war, but nice SGC examples bring strong prices. In fact the SGC 3 Wagner sits atop the most valuable card mountain currently.

Shameless plug - If you are considering selling - I encourage you to PM me to discuss possible private consignment.

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 02-20-2022, 01:52 PM
J@son Per1

It depends. As others have noted, generally speaking the difference in value in % terms for same card tends to narrow the older the card gets. In other words for cards that are 20 years old PSA Resale value might be 30-50% higher. For cards that are 110 years old, PSA might be more like 10% higher. So there are a couple of variables to consider from a math standpoint. How old is the card and how valuable is the card. Think of the ~$70 price difference as your break even. For a $200 card it’s going to be much harder making up that $70 difference using PSA and the older the card is the less chance you will recoup the difference because SGC performs relatively stronger.

So the older the card is and the less valuable it is (don’t grade anything worth less than $200 IMO), the math favors SGC. Most would probably suggest if it’s a $1k+ card you are always better off with PSA if the goal is resale. Although you probably do want to factor in some risk that PSA has a lot of skeletons in the closet.

Also never use SGC for 71 Topps or other black cards. It looks bad.
Old 02-20-2022, 04:34 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutcher55 View Post
Also never use SGC for 71 Topps or other black cards. It looks bad.
Warning on this one. Cards from this set which used to be 9s regularly are getting PSA 7s now. They are hammering this set, per the registry set collectors on the CU board. So don't send them to PSA, or you're going to be paying hundreds to make your cards worth less than raw.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 02-20-2022, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger8mush View Post

You could always stay raw until it is time to sell, and let the Auction House deal with the grading (or you can sell raw).
[/IMG]
This comment interests me. I have a very significant card that unfortunately is sitting in a GAI 7 holder. Figuring out how to deal with re-grading has been a major headache. If I consigned it with an auction house, they'd get it graded for me? I know it would be at my expense. I didn't know this was common practice (never consigned before). Follow-up question... can you guys give me an auction house recommendation? I don't know where to start with this.

Last edited by Gr8Beldini; 02-20-2022 at 04:59 PM.
Old 02-20-2022, 05:21 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8Beldini View Post
This comment interests me. I have a very significant card that unfortunately is sitting in a GAI 7 holder. Can you guys give me an auction house recommendation?
Very common practice. Which auction house makes the most sense is heavily dependent on the card, sport, age, and expect dollar value. Goldin, Heritage, and REA are great for very high end ($25,000 or more). Others are great between $5-25K, others are great below that level. Some auction houses even let you bid on your card or set "hidden reserves", or even bid on your cards for you.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 02-21-2022, 01:45 PM
Ian H@ll

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Warning on this one. Cards from this set which used to be 9s regularly are getting PSA 7s now. They are hammering this set, per the registry set collectors on the CU board. So don't send them to PSA, or you're going to be paying hundreds to make your cards worth less than raw.
I agree with this general sentiment, though I'm using it as a buying opportunity. 71 Topps that used to get 7s are now 5-6s. Get the same nice card, for half price!
Sold to: Sean1125, sayitaintso, IgnatiusJReilly, hockeyhockey, mocean, wondo, Casey2296, Belfast1933, Yoda, Peter_Spaeth, hxcmilkshake, kaddyshack, OhioCardCollector, Gorditadogg, Jay Wolt, ClementeFanOh, JollyElm, EddieZ, 4reals, uyu906

Last edited by rugbymarine; 02-21-2022 at 01:48 PM.
Old 02-21-2022, 02:50 PM
J0hn Collin$

If you are a collector, go with the grader you prefer (or) find values as I do in raw cards. "Professional" graders aren't the only ones who can be taught how to grade properly. Grading has been around for years before PSA.

If you are selling realize that PSA is the market leader, and dubious thoughts on how they arrived at that position aside - that is not likely to change soon, overnight, or perhaps ever. PSA established this position early with the help of their registry and the notoriety of certain things they graded. Believe whatever you like, but popular sentiment would point to the fact that too many big wheel collectors and investors are in bed with PSA and PSA graded cards now to seriously threaten their position as market leader. If you ask me, they should be relegated to the minor leagues of graders given a largesse of customer service and quality issues over the years, but especially recently. But that changes nothing. Do I submit to PSA? No. Do I have PSA slabs in my collection? Yes, many. It is what it is.

Last edited by jchcollins; 02-21-2022 at 02:51 PM.
Old 02-23-2022, 03:47 PM
J@son Per1

Yeah agree. I believe SGC grading standards are every bit as high as PSA's and so generally speaking you can get more quality from SGC on a $ for $ term. But you have to be careful with that concept because resale value isn't the same on average, and so in that light I would say you are better off as a collector focusing on SGC since you will generally pay less for the same card quality.

Has SGC always been as tough on grading as PSA? Not sure although the going sentiment seems to be that both have gotten tougher.

I collect both. And raw cards as well. And I flip. It does generally seem easier to flip PSA cards. While I was posting this I got curious and looked up my historic profit margin with each tpg and it is higher with SGC than PSA. But most of my volume is PSA and as I said they do generally seem to move easier. SGC cards have more of a select audience but that audience is maybe more loyal than PSA and they are willing to pay for quality, in some cases PSA average prices or higher. There is definitely a cross-section of collectors who will just focus on the card first. This can even extend to BVG cards which are a grade easier on vintage, but I have seen nice examples and people pay PSA prices for same grade, although that is a rarity.
Old 02-23-2022, 04:02 PM
Mel Quatt.lebaum

Until their new tux slab came out, I always thought SGC grade a point above PSA; meaning a PSA 6 =‘SGC 7 and with that scale their prices were very similar .
Old 02-24-2022, 07:35 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by mq711 View Post
Until their new tux slab came out, I always thought SGC grade a point above PSA; meaning a PSA 6 =‘SGC 7 and with that scale their prices were very similar .
If anything, SGC is slightly tougher on vintage now than PSA is. Certainly they are noticeably tougher on centering just in the last 2-3 years.
Old 02-24-2022, 01:46 PM
J@E R1T0

Like many here, I've been collecting for about 40 yrs. I've been submitting cards for grading since 2000. Sent many to SGC, PSA, and Beckett. I've always liked SGC the best, both for the looks of the slab and the service.

Having said that, for cards that have a similar eye appeal and carry the same grade, PSA always sells higher. Low population or highly sought after cards will sell high, regardless of the slab. See the Kobe Bryant in its BGS holder that sold last week for $2M.

Love the late 1800’s Boston Beaneaters and the early Boston Red Sox (1903-1918)!

Also collecting any and all basketball memorabilia.