NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-08-2021, 07:54 AM
CJ

Default So, I found a new T206 rare back.

I figured this would be of interest to many of you on the forum.

Last week, I found, and moments ago, lost, an auction for these cards. I did not have the cajones to spend more than I bid, even though the trio went below my estimated values (with the help of a few posters here) when graded. The damn 30% auction fees crushed my soul.

Anyway, the Steinfeldt with bat with a Lenox back has no copies at PSA/SGC/Beckett, and sites like T206resource list it as 'possibly exists, but unconfirmed.'

Well, I'd say it's confirmed to exist now. It was in the hands of a 'high end' British collector. And based on other auctions from the same collection this year, they had roughly 20% of the set and some other nice stuff.

Woe is me. But, at least I found something worthwhile.

Old 12-08-2021, 10:17 AM
P@trick R.omolo

Thanks for sharing this, it's always nice to see a previously unconfirmed combo.
Old 12-08-2021, 12:26 PM
Trey
Tr.ey Bu0y

Thanks for sharing. I suspect we will see many of the finds from that collection circulating in the US auction circuit once they are graded. It's disappointing to not win an auction, but that's how it goes.
Old 12-08-2021, 03:49 PM
Eric Perry

Every now and then I go well past my "card budget" in an auction.

For a while afterwards, there's no disposable income on hand. As a result, I'll miss out on a few things.

However, I've never regretted the decision to "go all in" on a card. It's the "one that got away" which will gnaw at me...

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (190/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 12-08-2021, 03:56 PM
Bry@n

The Steinfeldt looks like it might be a Brown Lenox too.
Old 12-08-2021, 07:09 PM
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
The Steinfeldt looks like it might be a Brown Lenox too.
That would actually be the Bridwell back, because the trio were in one connected sheet.

But yeah, I can't tell if it's brown, or just a faded black. It's definitely lighter than the other.

I did have one net54 user look at the photos prior to my bidding, and they didn't think it was brown.

I'm curious if anyone else thinks it's brown. (I'd be even more mad for not upping my bid.)
Old 12-08-2021, 07:14 PM
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeboo View Post
Thanks for sharing. I suspect we will see many of the finds from that collection circulating in the US auction circuit once they are graded. It's disappointing to not win an auction, but that's how it goes.
That's what I think as well. There was 75% of a 1924 Cuban Aguilitas set in an auction a few months ago, from what I assume is the same collection. I've been waiting to see those pop up somewhere in the States... because I was outbid on those too.

But, who knows? Maybe it's all staying somewhere in England?
Old 12-08-2021, 07:18 PM

Cale, I don’t know if that is brown or black. It is very difficult to tell when card is not in hand- some browns can be darker/lighter than others. As discussed, if brown, the card is worth much more than if black. I am leaning against it being brown bc there are just so few browns out there that odds are just against it from a probability stand point

Now that the auction is over, what auction were these in?
Old 12-08-2021, 07:20 PM
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
Every now and then I go well past my "card budget" in an auction.

For a while afterwards, there's no disposable income on hand. As a result, I'll miss out on a few things.

However, I've never regretted the decision to "go all in" on a card. It's the "one that got away" which will gnaw at me...
I hear that. I'm just getting back into cards after collecting as a kid in the 90s... and obviously, I just got interested again months before the pandemic price boom.

So, I've still got sticker shocker from going from 90s prices to pandemic prices.

I've got a few gnawing flubs. But you're right, sometimes you've got to throw the frugality out the window for something.
Old 12-08-2021, 07:24 PM
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Cale, I don’t know if that is brown or black. It is very difficult to tell when card is not in hand- some browns can be darker/lighter than others. As discussed, if brown, the card is worth much more than if black. I am leaning against it being brown bc there are just so few browns out there that odds are just against it from a probability stand point

Now that the auction is over, what auction were these in?
Yeah, I would hedge my bets and assume black as well. The odds of a 1/1 card + a brown Lenox + a Uzit seems too crazy. I will shoot you an email with more details.

But, if anyone reading thinks it's brown, feel free to tell me that I whiffed.

Last edited by Prof; 12-08-2021 at 07:34 PM.
Old 12-08-2021, 08:04 PM
P@trick R.omolo

The Steinfeldt as Bryan said is without a doubt Brown.
Old 12-08-2021, 08:16 PM
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R View Post
The Steinfeldt as Bryan said is without a doubt Brown.

Well, then I should've bid a bit more than I did! But, I still bet I'd have balked and lost at a higher number.
Old 12-08-2021, 08:41 PM

The first is the Steinfeldt. All the others are examples of brown Lenox I own. As you can see, the brown can vary pretty dramatically. The Steinfeldt is not as brown as some, but from scans, certainly resembles some of my others, all of which are brown

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 12-08-2021 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Changed “Bridwell” to Steinfeldt ”
Old 12-08-2021, 09:03 PM
CJ

^ That Bridwell definitely looks like it fits in with examples from your collection. According to PSA/SGC there are only black Lenox ones.

In that case, both Lennox cards are unique examples. Neat.
Old 12-08-2021, 09:05 PM

Default Brown

I believe it is the Steinfeld that is the Brown back - not Bridwell. Top right of the three obverse (front) images; top LEFT of the three reverse (back) images.
Old 12-08-2021, 09:10 PM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster View Post
I believe it is the Steinfeld that is the Brown back - not Bridwell. Top right of the three obverse (front) images; top LEFT of the three reverse (back) images.
Correct, the back scans are reversed the Steinfeldt is the one on the left in the back scans.
Old 12-08-2021, 09:14 PM

Fair enough, but the pic I posted is of the correct back, just mislabeled/backwards by me.
Old 12-08-2021, 09:16 PM
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster View Post
Oh, I may still not be seeing the difference.

To clarify, the cards in other lots were in plastic sheets like this. Each sheet was two rows of five cards.

Let's number them as:

1 Bridwell (Lenox)
2 Steinfeldt (Lenox)
3 Steinfeldt (Uzit)

The photo order should be:

Fronts:

1 2
. 3

Backs:

2 1

If you think brown is the top left, that's Steinfeldt. Top right is Bridwell.

Existential crisis: Is this how I find out I'm colorblind?

Last edited by Prof; 12-08-2021 at 09:17 PM.