NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-20-2005, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Default high grade coomons

Posted By: scott

do you feel the exremely high prices paid for high grade "graded"commons will hold in the long term?
opinions?
scott

Old 04-20-2005, 04:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

Only so long as collectors continue to focus on set registries, which, IMO, are worthless.

Old 04-20-2005, 04:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave H

prices in the long term are a funtion of supply and demand. set registries will only grow in popularity, especially people competing for graded cards. it is my opinion that commons are still good value. I have zero interest in big name players.

Old 04-20-2005, 04:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

I think it's very interesting that Ty Cobb cards are the most common T206 cards in terms of scarcity, but they still bring in the highest prices. And that's basically because demand is still so much higher than supply for his cards because he is a big name and will always be a big name. There is security in that, in terms of investment potential, etc.

Commons do not have the historical linkage that makes HOF'ers a sure bet. Sure, if demand continues to increase and supply continues to dwindle because of set registries and their growing popularity, then commons will also grow in value. But the fact that the historical linkage is missing makes them more risky.

One of my concerns is actually that people have lost sight of the supply and are bidding high on auctions because they fear that supply is dwindling and demand is increasing. But with the advent of eBay and the availability of other sources of cards through electronic means, we all have access to thousands more cards than we ever did just 10 years ago. That has invigorated demand, but supply is there, too. It is somewhat discouraging for me to be nearing completion (minus the big 3) of the T206 set only to find in other posts on this board that there are 300 or so of us out there, and growing. But I suspect that even T206 cards will eventually start to dry up on ebay. Though it hasn't happened yet and appears to be going in the opposite direction.

Old 04-20-2005, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: WP

I think the set registy hype will die down although I think the concept is here to stay and people will continue to be concious of their positions. The commons will decrease in value especially the"low pop" cards. I think much of the low pop Hysteria is irrational and nothing more than statistical anomoly. In time, The pops will level off and a good indicator where they will end up are the pops of the major stars/

Old 04-21-2005, 01:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

All you ahve to do is look at how the graded coin market progressed adn you will have a good idea what will happen with baseball cards.

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 04-21-2005, 07:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

In the eighties the coin market began to have the grading of their coins standardized by independent third party garding and encapsulation service companies, much like cards have now.

By the end of the eighties investment houses (those firms that invest your money for you in a diversified portfolio) included graded coins in their holdings. This represented a significant influx of money into numismatics; and drove the prices for high end certified coins through the roof. Lesser coins were also affected - but less.

Since that one time monetary input, prices have been generally declining, but are still well above pre-1989 levels. What will happen to that hobby when the investment houses choose to sell?

What would happen to card prices if investment houses felt that the hobby was a solid enuff option to buy into the high end? Id guess that instantaneous doubling of prices followed by three months of significant further appreciation would be experienced. This then would be followed by years of correction (decrease in value from peak levels).

Prior to the investment houses inclusion of coins, there was belief by many in the coin field that sight unseen trading (based solely on slab grade numbers) was possible. This would facilitate coins being listed similarly to commodities, if implemented. Although it likely is possible with a different grading scheme, the differences in appearance ie. desirability among equally graded coins has prevented sight unseen trading to date.

Old 04-21-2005, 07:45 AM
Administrator

www.thepit.com

But they haven't gotten into vintage there. It's all McGwire DOWN ARROW and Clint Barmes UP ARROW.

Old 04-21-2005, 07:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: andy becker

i tried to hold back....i can't....what's a coomon??

Old 04-21-2005, 09:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I am right there with ya'......every time I've seen this thread I think "what is a coomon?" I think it's a maroon brother.....

Old 04-21-2005, 09:20 AM
Administrator

...a Hall of Farmer.

Old 04-21-2005, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

So then, Coomons do not do farming. Therefore, Amish are not Coomons. We are narrowing this down fellow Maroons!

Edited to add:

Are you sure this is correct? I was under the impression that the Amish prided themselves on their coomonality! As always, there is no intense offended to our brothers and sisters in the Amish communities. However, any members of that community currently reading this, please e-mail me, because I am clearly not up to speed regarding your current thinking relating to electronic communication.

Old 04-21-2005, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

To get right back on track but a little different focus it's well known that the Amish are big into tobacco farming (so I hear). I once got a T205 Cobby in nrmt-mt condition and I was told (by good ole Norm "I live with my parents and work at a jail" Showers that it came from an Amish farmer. Unfortunately it came back trimmed and altered....and ended up on Mike Wheat's site without any mention of it...I asked Mike about it in person once and he said he didn't remember. He probably didn't.....sorry to ramble....maybe I'll censor myself.....

Old 04-21-2005, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

Harry Stooovy, Jimmy Claxxton, Pete Roose, or oothers who are famoous, but are not in the HOFF.

Yeeet.

DFor me, it's just like typing normallyx.

Old 04-21-2005, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Darren J. Duet

Jamaican pigeon.

Old 04-21-2005, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glenn

Coomon, folks, you can't expect me to believe this fooolishnes.