NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-16-2013, 05:20 AM
Brad Green

Default Please Show your Carl Lundgren Cards

It turns out that my son's friend is related to Carl Lundgren. Carl pitched for the Chicago Cubs from 1902 to 1909. He went 91-55 over those 8 years. I would say that was a decent record.

Please show your Carl Lundgren cards. It appears that he has several in that time period. Thanks!
Old 06-16-2013, 06:30 AM
Ted Zanidakis

HAPPY FATHER's DAY Net 54er's

TED Z

__________________________________________________ _____________________
LOOKING FOR these T206 guys to complete my AMERICAN BEAUTY 460 sub-set

AMES....CAMNITZ....CRAWFORD (bat)....DOYLE (port)....JORDAN (bat)....McGRAW (port-cap)
McQUILLAN (bat)....TINKER (bat off)....WILTSE (port-cap)

Last edited by tedzan; 06-16-2013 at 07:17 AM.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:11 PM
Je.rry Spillm@n

Old 06-16-2013, 07:50 PM
And.rew Whi.te

Carl Lundgren grew up and is buried in a town not far from me, Marengo Illinois. There is a baseball field dedicated to him and it just so happens to be a field that legendary Hall of Famer Cap Anson played on back in the day as well.

I believe a fellow board member here has a postcard that showed Anson playing on the same field in question that is now Carl Lundgren field and has documented this find here on the boards. Have your son's friend Google "Carl Lundgren Marengo Illinois" and you will find some good information.

Last edited by whitehse; 06-16-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:11 AM
Brad Green

Thank you guys for the responses.... I think it is interesting that some of the T206's show Lundgren with Kansas City... It doesn't appear to me that he ever played for Kansas City. He did play in the minors between 1909 and 1912, but not for Kansas City.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:38 AM

Default Brad....

trying to get my lund 350 scan up.........

Ted, I love the scrap Lun(as you already know)....
Old 06-18-2013, 07:45 AM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Default Lundy with KC

Here's a KC card:
Old 06-18-2013, 10:13 AM
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftygrove10 View Post
Thank you guys for the responses.... I think it is interesting that some of the T206's show Lundgren with Kansas City... It doesn't appear to me that he ever played for Kansas City. He did play in the minors between 1909 and 1912, but not for Kansas City.
This is what I’ve been able to gather.

At the start of the 1909 season Frank Chance wasn’t happy with Lundgren and put him on waivers the first week of May. Several teams showed interest and after about a week Lundgren was sold to Brooklyn. Team President Ebbets almost immediately sent him to Toronto.

He reported to Toronto the third week of May where he played for manager Joe Kelley. After a 1-3 start Kelley suspended Lundgren on June 16 for being out of shape. He was then released and his contract was purchased by Kansas City. Lundgren however refused to report to Kansas City and went home to the Chicago area. For the remainder of 1909 he played baseball on local teams.

In 1910 he again went to play in Toronto with similar results to 1909.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:30 PM
Brad Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abravefan11 View Post
This is what I’ve been able to gather.

At the start of the 1909 season Frank Chance wasn’t happy with Lundgren and put him on waivers the first week of May. Several teams showed interest and after about a week Lundgren was sold to Brooklyn. Team President Ebbets almost immediately sent him to Toronto.

He reported to Toronto the third week of May where he played for manager Joe Kelley. After a 1-3 start Kelley suspended Lundgren on June 16 for being out of shape. He was then released and his contract was purchased by Kansas City. Lundgren however refused to report to Kansas City and went home to the Chicago area. For the remainder of 1909 he played baseball on local teams.

In 1910 he again went to play in Toronto with similar results to 1909.
That's very interesting, Tim. Thank you!
Old 12-06-2013, 03:52 PM
Brad W.

Sorry, late to his thread but better late than never...

Carl cut his teeth playing in "the flats" of Marengo. The ballpark he played in is now the playground of the Zion Luthern Church - it has a little league field there so the baseball tradition continues.

When Carl pitched for the Cubs, his nickname was "The Human Icicle" because he tended to do his best pitching in cold weather, usually early in the season. Carl had a good fastball and assorted curves, but his problem was control. One newspaper account said "he couldn't find the plate with field glasses."

Carl Lundgren Historical Marker in Marengo, IL

Postcard showing the field he cut his teeth on (1906 postcard showing an exhibition game between Marengo Athletics and Cap Anson's Colts - Lundgren was pitching for the Cubs at the time and not involved in this game).

1906 Fan Craze from my PC

Carl with the Cubs
Old 12-06-2013, 03:57 PM
Brad Green

Thank you so much for the commentary and your pictures!
Old 12-07-2013, 11:34 AM
Mark

He also had a very succesful run as baseball coach at U. of Illinois and was assistant A.D.

Lundgren Hall is named after him.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206hound View Post
Here's a KC card:
HEY that used to be mine
Schlei (Catching) Back run: 10/12 (minus blank back)

Actively collecting t206 Hall of Famers, Southern Leaguers, and Various backs in good to excellent condition. Love talking cards too.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:28 PM
N.ate A.dams

Incredible post, thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracecollector View Post
Sorry, late to his thread but better late than never...

Carl cut his teeth playing in "the flats" of Marengo. The ballpark he played in is now the playground of the Zion Luthern Church - it has a little league field there so the baseball tradition continues.

When Carl pitched for the Cubs, his nickname was "The Human Icicle" because he tended to do his best pitching in cold weather, usually early in the season. Carl had a good fastball and assorted curves, but his problem was control. One newspaper account said "he couldn't find the plate with field glasses."

Carl Lundgren Historical Marker in Marengo, IL

Postcard showing the field he cut his teeth on (1906 postcard showing an exhibition game between Marengo Athletics and Cap Anson's Colts - Lundgren was pitching for the Cubs at the time and not involved in this game).

1906 Fan Craze from my PC

Carl with the Cubs
Old 12-10-2013, 02:44 PM
Den*nis O*Brien

Default Carl Lundgren on a W600

Late to the party, but since this has not been shown perhaps the relative will find it interesting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan6.jpg (78.4 KB, 153 views)
Old 04-14-2015, 04:22 PM
Brad W.

Revising an old thread, as since my last post Carl Lundgren has become a side project for me. I've been adding Lundgren items to my PC when possible, and have made some interesting acquisitions in the last year.

1908 Cubs "Our Home Team" Postcard Cut Panel

A cut panel from a rare team pictorial postcard. The scan below it shows how the full postcard looked, with player photos on both sides of the long strip.

1907 Grignon Postcards - Chicago Cubs

What makes this unique is the postal cancellations. The card was sent on September 10, 1907 from Chicago to Marengo, IL - Lundgren's home town. A correspondence between fans of the local boy?

1910 T206

Picked up both the Chicago and Kansas City variations

1921-22 University of Illinois Student Handbook / Pocket Planner

Pocket Planner featuring a portrait of Lundgren

1923 Hardcover 1st Edition "How to be an Athlete" Published by D.C. Heath and Company, Co-Authored by Charles Edward Hammett

Lundgren was an author too. Lots of baseball strategy is discussed, with photos of the U. of I. baseball team members demonstrating techniques.

1923 N.E.A. Press Photo, dated July 2, 1923. Notation on back reads: "Carl Lundgren, Coach Illinois Baseball Team teaches class in four-year course in athletic coaching."

I haven't seen a wide variety of Lundgren photos outside of team photos and a few portraits. This shot of Lundgren teaching at U. of I. (my alma mater) is a personal favorite. I enlarged him in the second scan for a better look.

If anyone has any Lundgren related items and is looking to sell, let me know. Trying to find a 1907 CUBS A.C. DIETSCHE Postcard and any Cubs team photo postcards where he is pictured.

Last edited by gracecollector; 04-14-2015 at 04:24 PM.