NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-23-2020, 02:56 PM

Default Double Boneheads

On a lighter note, I found this description of a double bonehead in the April 6, 1912 issue of Tip Top Weekly #834:

Although humorous, this account doesn't pass the "straight-face" test, so I tried to google other descriptions of this incident. I found this account in the San Bernardino Sun, Volume 36, Number 81, 7 July 1912 (Page 6). It is (OCR'd as the actual newspaper image was not available to me)):

"BONEHEAD BASEBALL This Was About the Richest Double Play Ever Perpetrated. Double boneheads are rare in baseballscarcer than hens' teeth, and naturally so,' for the' completion of a bonehead requires vigilance and quick thinking by the opposition. Still, double concretes happen ever and auon; the moBt famous one possibly being that pull'rd by Cozy Doian aud Uarry Gessler tt Chicago several years ago.' On this occasion Dolan had reached second lu the ninth, and one was down, the score at the time being In favor of the Cubs by a one run margin. The next batter hoisted a long fly over center field. Gessler grabbed the' ball and, deciding that It was tbe third out tucked the ball In his pocket and flew for the clubhouse. ' ' Dolan, Instead of taking advantage of tbe break to score the tying run; also figured that It was the third out and followed Gessler across the field, while a raving mob of players from both teams, surrounding them, tried to Impress the horror of the situation upon them. ' ' " " ' ' ' ' ' 1 Artie Ilofman finally took the ball away from Gessler, chased Dolan to the clubhouse and made tho putout at tbe edge of the bathtub. That was tho richest doable break ' on record', but there have been a feit others almost as funny."

This doesn't qualify as a second opinion - either there is plagiarism going on or the author sold the same story to two publications. Further queries produced (-Chicago Tribune “by exclusive content" July 10, 2006):

"Invents New Double Play.

Manager Chance took himself out of the game just to spite O'Day in the seventh inning, and called Hofman in from center to cover first, putting Gessler in "Solly's" place. Thereby he laid the plot for the original and comic finish. Hits by Howard and Brown put runners on third and second with one out, in Boston's ninth. Strobel lifted a long fly to center and Gessler captured it after a long run back. Immediately he stuck the ball in his pocket and started for the clubhouse, thinking it the third out. Howard scored from third on the fly, but Strobel stuck to first, of course, until he awoke to Gessler's mistake, and started for second. Meanwhile the Spuds were splitting their lungs trying to wake up Gessler. He grasped the situation just in time to make a long distance throw to Evers, who touched Strobel before he reached second and ended the game with the most original double play on record. It was a huge joke to every one, but might have proved disastrous in a closer game."

Not sure where the Trib got its information, but it seems a much more likely account. Finally, I found this (-Major League Careers Cut Short: Leading Players Gone by 30, By Charles F. Faber, 2010):

Similar to the Tribune account, but different is some details. Both have Brown on second, Strobel batting, and Gessler in the outfield. But Faber doesn't mention anyone on third, anyone scoring, and has Brown being thrown out at home instead of Strobel being thrown out at second. And although both sources have Brown on second, the older accounts have Dolan on second.

Whatever the real story is, I like the first one the best (although it is unlikely). Does anyone have an example of a real double bonehead?
Old 03-23-2020, 04:17 PM
Rob

Thanks for posting, interesting read. I liked the first story the best, too. Here's an "Artie" Hofman...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t213-2hofmannpeoria753.jpg (66.1 KB, 330 views)
File Type: jpg t213-2hofmannpeoriab758.jpg (65.3 KB, 330 views)
Old 03-24-2020, 05:55 AM
Ge0rge Tr0end1e

Default Great look at how history is written. Here's Harry, I guess.

Actually, Henry Homer:
https://net54baseball.com/attachment...1&d=1585050873
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aM116SportingLifeGessler3997Front2.jpg (37.4 KB, 254 views)
Old 03-24-2020, 06:39 AM

Default Cozy Dolan

Here is the other miscreant sliding into 3rd
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dolan Cozy original photo.jpg (71.0 KB, 232 views)

PreWar NYAL cards, photos, etc.
WantList: Mendelsohns Marsans; Rose 760PC Niles; Koester Mitchell; Koester Ferguson;1924 Diaz Roettger
Successful deals with 60+ board members
Old 03-25-2020, 07:30 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Chez Fallen

I discovered that I have cards of Solly Hoffman and Mickey Doolan, but none of Artie Hofman nor Doc Gessler nor Cozy Dolan.

But I am mostly replying to say hello and best wishes to my good friend Dave!
I sometimes call him my landlord since I stay with him when traveling to the Seattle area. Cheap rent
Hi Dave!

And since all threads are better with pictures, here's a Single Boner card of famous Fred.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E95Merkle30.JPG (25.6 KB, 142 views)

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:37 PM
Rob

When I looked up "Solly", his first name was "Arthur", so I assumed the newspaper was calling the guy who we know as "Solly", "Artie"...
Old 03-25-2020, 08:06 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Circus Solly

Rob,
Looks like they are one in the same...thanks!
Arthur Frederick Hofman
Misspelled with double F on his E95 card and likely others issues.

Hi Dave!

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 03-26-2020, 04:36 AM
Ge0rge Tr0end1e

Default Another Hofman

This card doesn't really fit in my collection, but I have been slow to recycle it, because the color is so spectacular.
https://net54baseball.com/attachment...1&d=1585218945
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a1914CouponHofmanSGCFront2.jpg (29.0 KB, 99 views)
Old 03-26-2020, 05:33 AM

Default Heilbroner

Arthur's Heilbroner Card
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hofman Arthur Heilbroner.jpg (75.4 KB, 86 views)

PreWar NYAL cards, photos, etc.
WantList: Mendelsohns Marsans; Rose 760PC Niles; Koester Mitchell; Koester Ferguson;1924 Diaz Roettger
Successful deals with 60+ board members
Old 03-26-2020, 06:20 AM

Just for the record, in case anyone has the time and energy to research it further, a distillation
of the conflicting accounts makes the second game of the July 12, 1906 doubleheader at Chicago
the overwhelmingly likely date of the "double bonehead" event. We haven't yet found an authoritative
newspaper account of the bizarre play.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/baseballgames/

Successful transactions with: bocabirdman, GrayGhost, jimivintage,
Oneofthree67, orioles93, quinnsryche, thecatspajamas, ValKehl
Old 03-26-2020, 11:59 AM

Thanks for the various pictures, although it reminds me that I committed a minor violation of etiquitte by not including a card pic in the original post. The only missing suspect is Cozy Dolan - I do not have a period card of him, but here he is from the Conlin Collection:

Old 03-26-2020, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfallen View Post
On a lighter note, I found this description of a double bonehead in the April 6, 1912 issue of Tip Top Weekly #834:

Further queries produced (-Chicago Tribune “by exclusive content" July 10, 2006):

"Invents New Double Play.

Manager Chance took himself out of the game just to spite O'Day in the seventh inning, and called Hofman in from center to cover first, putting Gessler in "Solly's" place. Thereby he laid the plot for the original and comic finish. Hits by Howard and Brown put runners on third and second with one out, in Boston's ninth. Strobel lifted a long fly to center and Gessler captured it after a long run back. Immediately he stuck the ball in his pocket and started for the clubhouse, thinking it the third out. Howard scored from third on the fly, but Strobel stuck to first, of course, until he awoke to Gessler's mistake, and started for second. Meanwhile the Spuds were splitting their lungs trying to wake up Gessler. He grasped the situation just in time to make a long distance throw to Evers, who touched Strobel before he reached second and ended the game with the most original double play on record. It was a huge joke to every one, but might have proved disastrous in a closer game."
This one doesn't make sense. Strobel, the batter, was out when Gessler caught the ball. There was no reason to tag him out at second. The image of Cozy Dolan in a Giants uniform is the wrong Cozy Dolan. The Dolan who may have been in this play with the Cubs was Patrick (aka Cozy) Dolan, who died in the spring of 1907 while he was still an active player. The second Cozy Dolan didn't begin his major league career until 1909, long after Harry (Doc) Gessler had been traded from the Cubs. Arthur Hofman was known mostly as Artie Hofman during his playing days, but he was occasionally called "Circus Solly" after a cartoon character known at the time. I've never seen him referred to as Solly Hofman in newspaper articles from his day, but that seems to be the name that has been given to him in present-day reference sites.

Last edited by RUKen; 03-26-2020 at 12:22 PM.