NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-16-2020, 10:20 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default Auction "watchers"

Why don't AHs tell you how many people are "watching" an item? (Maybe some do.) Are they afraid that if bidders see a small number of watchers they will think the item is not desirable? I am sure many items have hundreds of watchers. Must be some reason.

I guess you could turn it around ask why would any bidder really care.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 05-16-2020 at 10:21 AM.
Old 05-16-2020, 11:42 AM
Scott Russell

Frankly I never really considered it either way. I could make a programming request and get it added as a feature if I saw any benefit.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 05-16-2020, 12:04 PM
M@rk Lu7z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Why don't AHs tell you how many people are "watching" an item? (Maybe some do.) Are they afraid that if bidders see a small number of watchers they will think the item is not desirable? I am sure many items have hundreds of watchers. Must be some reason.

I guess you could turn it around ask why would any bidder really care.
Showing the number of watchers might discourage some people, like me, when we discover that hundreds of people are watching an item that we're hoping to get for a good price.
Old 05-16-2020, 01:49 PM

Heritage does.
Old 05-16-2020, 02:09 PM
Adam Goldenberg

Default Ehh

Would not influence me either way.
Old 05-16-2020, 05:32 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Showing the number of watchers might discourage some people, like me, when we discover that hundreds of people are watching an item that we're hoping to get for a good price.
+1

If it’s a BIN with 30 watchers and none of them have pulled the trigger, there’s a reason. If it’s an auction with 30 watchers, I’m not interested in that kind of bidding war and move on.
Old 05-17-2020, 08:19 AM
Justin

I frequently watch lots for research purposes with no intention of bidding and I assume others do the same.

If I am bidding, I know what I am willing to pay so the number of watchers is irrelevant, other than maybe putting my max bid in earlier to avoid missing something by 1 bid.

On ebay BIN that's totally different. But nothing on ebay BIN ever seems to be at a reasonable price anyway.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2020, 02:00 PM

However You view "Watchers", it's still data. we all use it in different ways. i my ownself, bid early on the items that i'd like to win! Then, right before the extended bidding begins, i check the Number of bids. This kinda tells me what i might be up against in the final hours, minutes!

Jus recently, i've waited for a Card that i'm quite sure that there are Only 3 of, And i have one of them! Another is held by another board member and "The One" was jus Auction'd recently. With 16 Bidders going into the Extend'd hours, the bidding came down to me another Board member(realized after auction was over!) We end'd up running the Card about 2.5k over the rest of the seeking bidders! iN the End, i was the Under Bidder Only because i got complacent in the last 5 minutes. i first subconsciously didn't think he bid again, which led me away to do something quickly to return to counter the Bid if need be!?

i ended up gettin' tied up for about 2 hours and even forgot about my Long Wait to See This Card at Auction!!! Like i mention'd earlier, i was the Under-Bidder!

However the 16 Bidder's i use as the Who's "Who" Who are "Watching" my Intereste'd Auctions! (:

i'm sure others have there own lil methods, ideas, etc...
Old 05-17-2020, 02:03 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I’ve always assumed that a lot of watchers are guys who own the same
card and curious about its sale price.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 05-17-2020 at 02:03 PM.
Old 05-17-2020, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I’ve always assumed that a lot of watchers are guys who own the same
card and curious about its sale price.
With AHs I watch items that I want to know the sale price of. I bid early on items that I want to buy and then bid during OT. With eBay I watch items that I am interested on bidding on if they are auctions or are priced too high if they are fixed price, hoping for a lower price or an eBay promotion.

Last edited by rats60; 05-17-2020 at 02:42 PM.
Old 05-17-2020, 03:57 PM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
+1

If it’s a BIN with 30 watchers and none of them have pulled the trigger, there’s a reason. If it’s an auction with 30 watchers, I’m not interested in that kind of bidding war and move on.
That's a great observation - the reason could be that there aren't many examples to understand that when SOMEONE finally pulls the trigger, it's too late to cry about it and the value is what ever the BIN was when said person pulled the trigger.

I follow different auctions for ebay and AHs because I have my perception of what I think somethings worth and I like to see how close I am when the bodies hit the floor (end of auction).

Those numbers don't influence me because of the reasons indicated. If I want to bid on something, I will. If my max bid is exceeded then I guess I didn't want the item bad enough to go "all in" on it.