NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-30-2008, 05:47 AM
Administrator

Default Mullaney w Young ghost, multiple overstrike reverse authenticated by PSA ends tonight

Posted By: T E

This is, obviously, an update to what follows...Good luck to all!
Auction ends tonight 9:20 pm EDT, ebay item # 120277495275

So I finally did it, had this wild thing authenticated. Went with PSA because I've used them before, experience for me in this case was all good. I paid for 2 day service, they kept it several days extra, which was understandable in this case, Ivan (last name escapes me right now) called me from PSA and explained that they were bringing in consultants to examine authenticity and proper labeling, and told me they were going to send me a credit for the delay which I thought was very nice (Hey Ivan, send that credit on!) and now here it is.

One thing that was not apparent in previous images and I never thought of is that Young ghost is upside down. My guess is that they printed the Mullaney side, completed it, then flipped it to do the branding. But they kept it on the wrong press, and presto, Young ghost. Spotting their error, they used the back to clean the plates. At some point, the entire panel was flipped over again, and looking perfectly fine, was cut and stuffed into packs. Anyway, just my theory.

As I wrote on another thread regarding this card,

In about 1973 or 1972, that time frame, I walked into a nostalgia shop (must have been one of the first of its kind) on Ascan Avenue in Forest Hills, Queens called Little Nemo's. The owner had a shoebox with about 180 T206s in it. He sold them to me for the lofty sum of $15. This card was one of them.

Fast forward about 8 years, now I am living alone in Manhattan. My apartment was burglarized. I had my t206s in a case, in three stacks. The crooks took two of the stacks, left the third. This card was in the stack they left.

I often gazed at this card wondering who that ghost image was. I had heard that error cards were worthless, so I didn't pursue it. I am not a t206 collector, and I started selling off my cards on ebay a couple of years ago under my ID of easthamptonauctions (my ID was hoofaway back then)

Then about two years ago Leland's auctioned off a card with a Piedmont double overstrike. It went for maybe $1500, that neighborhood. I thought, well, damn, I got something that sure beats that! I was directed to this board from the ebay Sports Mem. board. I posted an image of it and quite a wonderful thread grew out of it.

What now? Beats me. This pretty much is my t206 collection.