NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-27-2022, 04:48 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Default Lurker Thread

I get the impression the Pareto Principle also known as the 80/20 rule applies here quite often. I'm not sure what the member count is but I'm guessing there are some members who just lurk because they don't think their collecting story is important. You couldn't be more wrong.

There's cats here that could literally buy whatever they want, and do, it's fun to see. But the true mission statement of this sub is "all collectors are welcome, tell your story". You don't have to be rich, you don't have to be the big dog in the room. What is required is you have to be excited about what you are collecting and share it with the members here.

My good friend Andy Huntoon is a perfect example, he is a pure collector who just wants to help other collectors fulfill their goals. Thank you Andy. I might be able to afford a 14 CJ Cobb but he's a much better collector than me in my humble opinion.

It's not about the money, it never had been on this sub.

So, Lurkers, tell us your story, introduce yourselves and tell us what's important to you and your collection. If you're excited about pulling a $50 card I want to hear about it. Your opinion counts just like anybody else here.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 03-27-2022, 05:10 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
I get the impression the Pareto Principle also known as the 80/20 rule applies here quite often. I'm not sure what the member count is but I'm guessing there are some members who just lurk because they don't think their collecting story is important. You couldn't be more wrong.

There's cats here that could literally buy whatever they want, and do, it's fun to see. But the true mission statement of this sub is "all collectors are welcome, tell your story". You don't have to be rich, you don't have to be the big dog in the room. What is required is you have to be excited about what you are collecting and share it with the members here.

My good friend Andy Huntoon is a perfect example, he is a pure collector who just wants to help other collectors fulfill their goals. Thank you Andy. I might be able to afford a 14 CJ Cobb but he's a much better collector than me in my humble opinion.

So, Lurkers, tell us your story, introduce yourselves and tell us what's important to you and your collection. If you're excited about pulling a $50 card I want to hear about it. Your opinion counts just like anybody else here.
Agreed!

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 03-28-2022, 01:24 AM
Bob Davies

OK, I'll bite. Not sure if I qualify (there's that doubt going again) as a lurker with just over 1000 posts. However, one of the reasons I don't post on a lot of threads in the pre-war section is because I don't have a single pre-war baseball card. Being a Canadian, I have pre-war hockey and pre-was non-sports, and lots of post war hockey and CFL football going back to 1952. As a set collector, I always have a need somewhere in the hockey realm.

I subscribed to SCD in the late 80's and on through the 90's, until it essentially stopped publishing, so I've followed the baseball hobby. With a young family at the time, I simply didn't have the ability to spend a few hundred bucks on a T206 red or green Cobb. Now I look at them and want to jump in.

I have a few baseball, some of the old 60's OPC that I collected (and kept) as a kid. I've picked up a few 52 Topps... no Mantle, but a Mathews, Mays, Reese. Constantly looking at the high numbers, and some of the more desirable low numbers.

However, TBH I am a little embarrassed on this board to say "Hey, I'm now retired and ready to get a red Cobby or Matty portrait to my collection." after seeing the quality of others. I've also developed a real affinity for N28's and N162's, and would love to add a decent HOFer like Anson. Those cards and colors are simply beautiful.

While I have a nice collection of hockey and other things that, with price increases, is now well into six figures, I am a little shy on the pre-war baseball stuff.

That's why I lurk in this section way more than I post.
OK, I said it. I feel better now...

Last edited by Stampsfan; 03-28-2022 at 01:35 AM.
Old 03-28-2022, 01:47 AM
Bob Davies

And since "every thread needs a card", here are a few of mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Big 3 V-145-1 Front.jpg (155.6 KB, 682 views)
File Type: jpg 1952 OHL Richard Cherry Front.jpg (191.6 KB, 686 views)
File Type: jpg 1957 Parkies Front.jpg (192.8 KB, 681 views)
File Type: jpg 1966 Orr Test Front No Number.jpg (193.7 KB, 682 views)
File Type: jpg V304D 2 Front.jpg (194.4 KB, 677 views)
File Type: jpg 1967 Post Toronto.jpg (191.7 KB, 684 views)
File Type: jpg C55 1 - 2021-03-06.jpg (196.1 KB, 691 views)
Old 03-28-2022, 06:12 AM
Ed Hans

Default Re: Lurker Thread

Nice post, Phil.
Old 03-28-2022, 07:17 AM
octavio ranzola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
And since "every thread needs a card", here are a few of mine.
love vintage hockey
Old 03-28-2022, 02:13 PM
Joe M.

Nice hockey cards!!!!!

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 03-28-2022, 05:02 PM
Ben Gehler

I lurk to acquire knowledge.

Thanks to Casey2296 (Phil) and tbob (Bob), I navigate the real E98 world with vigor and passion. No, BSF for me, Mister!

Thanks to brianp-beme (Brian), I enjoy the E91 experience/hunt like few others.

I am not a set builder mentality; no collecting commitment to type; I like to think, "Zig" when the flow is Zagging. I have no sport/genre that I go all in on. Just enjoy the, "that's kinda cool" feel when viewing something that seems interesting; following the bread crumbs.

In baseball, I tend to drift towards battery mates. I completed a color run on E98 Johnny Kling (die-hard, '69 Cubs fan here) and just picked up my 1st E98 Brown (Green) off Sterling the other night; here we gooooo! I just completed my E98 Hippo Vaughn color run. I have 3/4 of Chief Meyers.

An example of how, "all over the map" I can be;
I saw Bob's awesome old hockey contribution here; had to dig out Mr. Beliveau here; who is keeping my C-55 Sprague Cleghorn company; Cleghorn is gathering crickets on the Hockey B/S/T board right now.

Thank you Phil for the lurking thread.

Ben
"I love baseball history backstory; especially when it involves cards."

Old 03-28-2022, 05:34 PM
J@mes In.gram

The old hockey stuff is very, very cool!

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 03-28-2022, 05:48 PM
Daniel R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post

Am I the only one cracking up at the "I might be able to afford a 14 CJ Cobb but he's a much better collector than me in my humble opinion" line?

T206 HOF'ers: 3/76

Instagram: @TheRasmussenCollection
Old 03-28-2022, 06:20 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drazz5 View Post
Am I the only one cracking up at the "I might be able to afford a 14 CJ Cobb but he's a much better collector than me in my humble opinion" line?
Never write posts while drinking good whiskey.

-
Old 03-28-2022, 07:16 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by drazz5 View Post
Not sure what's funny about that statement. Phil is being quite sincere and I very much appreciate his kindness. Thanks, Forrest, for the compliment.

I've been a member of Net54 since the old Network54 days around 2000 or so. And I lurked for many years before I started posting. I was intimidated by the pick up threads and the knowledge of the membership here. But I learned, after a while, that, like Phil said, you just need to have passion and love this stuff to contribute. I show off my beaters and my Jersey City collection whenever I can to encourage others like me to jump in and post their stuff. It doesn't have to be a Joe Jackson rookie, or a Babe Ruth to be shown off here. I'll happily follow one of Phil's or Ryan's recent pick ups with a common caramel card that I just picked up because I like it and that's all that matters to me.

Great post Phil. I hope some of the lurkers come out and play with us other big children. I mean, we collect baseball cards. None of us are very cool to begin with.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 03-28-2022, 07:22 PM
Ben Gehler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
Not sure what's funny about that statement. Phil is being quite sincere and I very much appreciate his kindness. Thanks, Forrest, for the compliment.

I've been a member of Net54 since the old Network54 days around 2000 or so. And I lurked for many years before I started posting. I was intimidated by the pick up threads and the knowledge of the membership here. But I learned, after a while, that, like Phil said, you just need to have passion and love this stuff to contribute. I show off my beaters and my Jersey City collection whenever I can to encourage others like me to jump in and post their stuff. It doesn't have to be a Joe Jackson rookie, or a Babe Ruth to be shown off here. I'll happily follow one of Phil's or Ryan's recent pick ups with a common caramel card that I just picked up because I like it and that's all that matters to me.

Great post Phil. I hope some of the lurkers come out and play with us other big children. I mean, we collect baseball cards. None of us are very cool to begin with.

Well said, Andy.

Ben
Old 03-28-2022, 07:32 PM
James M.

I probably post more often than many "lurkers," however I definitely do my fair share of reading threads and posts, more so than actually posting. I've posted a little bit of my collecting history before, I'm on the younger side, which meant I got into this hobby later than most of the people on the board.

I try to participate in the pre-war discussion as much as I can, but I own very few pre-war cards. Due to my current circumstances, I really need to pick and choose what cards I purchase. I do love talking though about the hobby, and I love hearing stories from the other members of the forum. Some of the collections I see on here, I would kill to have.

It is a little daunting at times, seeing people with multiple Cobbs, Ruths, Johnsons, Gehrigs, Wagners, Matthewsons, etc. You get the point. We're all in this hobby because it holds a special place for us, but there are some cards out there that I'll never be able to own, which is a little upsetting but its okay. I'll focus on the ones I can afford.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 03-29-2022, 01:05 PM
Randy

I mostly lurk, and enjoy the education I get here.

Now and then I post something to try and get a little more details about something.
Old 03-29-2022, 01:29 PM
J@E R1T0

Hockey cards don't get enough love! Your collection rocks though...

It seems few people grade hockey cards in the US, and so we don't hear about many exciting sales. Looking at the numbers, hockey cards are being graded at a lower rate than soccer and even the generic "non-sport" category (non-sport is not the pokemon bucket, that's TCG). I wish there were more influencers who liked hockey! I do...

Love the late 1800’s Boston Beaneaters and the early Boston Red Sox (1903-1918)!

Also collecting any and all basketball memorabilia.
Old 03-29-2022, 11:57 PM

It's amazing the number and quality of the collections here. So many fine items, and things I didn't know existed. I enjoy learning, reading about what others know and their experiences over the years - that's what brought me here.

I grew up in a small Midwest town, and started collecting in the late '80s. McGwire was the guy I pretended to be in Little League, but on the playground I was a WR and wanted to be Jerry Rice. I regularly bought Beckett magazines at Walmart. I had friends who were also into cards, but none of us really had a whole lot to spend. Even if we did save up, our local card store options were a furniture store, trophy shop, and a pawn shop that each had a couple card cases on the side.

It was a relatively small bubble. Still, my collecting evolved. I eventually decided that it was more efficient to just buy the cards that I liked instead of opening packs. Occasionally, I would see some older cards, and those really grabbed me with their designs, the old jerseys, and the history. I realized that if I saved up a bit more, I could buy actual legends of the game. My options were limited though.

My first vintage purchase was made possible by spending an evening with my grandma playing Bingo. She was playing multiple Bingo cards each round, and she put me in charge of the dauber, marking each call-out on all the cards. At some point, we hit a Bingo. She won $75, but she wanted to split it with me for bringing her good luck. I took my share the next day to buy the best card I could find. I got a 1960 Topps Stan Musial. It was awesome holding that.

My first dozen vintage purchases as a kid, because I have since logged my items with good ol' Excel, were these cards:

1961 Topps 311 Whitey Ford
1957 Topps 135 Bill Skowron
1959 Topps 462 Rocky Colavito
1958 Topps 492 Bob Friend
1961 Topps 127 Ron Kline
1967 Topps 5 Whitey Ford
1958 Topps 476 Stan Musial
1960 Topps 229 Joe Morgan
1960 Topps 175 Pedro Ramos
1957 Topps 138 Minnie Minoso
1959 Topps 461 Mickey Mantle
1960 Topps 250 Stan Musial

They were modest cards. My friends never had any vintage, but I liked the cards and enjoyed learning about the players.

Like the stories of many others, life happened. My cards were stored away in my parent's house. In 2021, I went to gather my old belongings and move them to my place. I found my cards. The nostalgia was great, thumbing through my albums and remembering the time spent organizing the cards. It re-kindled something. Last year, I bought a T206 Rube Waddell. I never thought I'd own a tobacco card. Those had only existed in magazine pictures. I then picked up a Zeenut and a couple of T201 Double Folders. My collection is small but growing again.

I can go online and see so many of the cards that I had always wanted. I can learn the backstories to the cards I enjoy. I discover new sets and cards all the time. There's always more to learn. That's why I lurked, joined, and still lurk.
Old 03-30-2022, 08:36 AM
J0sh.ua Le0nard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrewUpWithJunkWax View Post
It's amazing the number and quality of the collections here. So many fine items, and things I didn't know existed. I enjoy learning, reading about what others know and their experiences over the years - that's what brought me here.

I grew up in a small Midwest town, and started collecting in the late '80s. McGwire was the guy I pretended to be in Little League, but on the playground I was a WR and wanted to be Jerry Rice. I regularly bought Beckett magazines at Walmart. I had friends who were also into cards, but none of us really had a whole lot to spend. Even if we did save up, our local card store options were a furniture store, trophy shop, and a pawn shop that each had a couple card cases on the side.

It was a relatively small bubble. Still, my collecting evolved. I eventually decided that it was more efficient to just buy the cards that I liked instead of opening packs. Occasionally, I would see some older cards, and those really grabbed me with their designs, the old jerseys, and the history. I realized that if I saved up a bit more, I could buy actual legends of the game. My options were limited though.

My first vintage purchase was made possible by spending an evening with my grandma playing Bingo. She was playing multiple Bingo cards each round, and she put me in charge of the dauber, marking each call-out on all the cards. At some point, we hit a Bingo. She won $75, but she wanted to split it with me for bringing her good luck. I took my share the next day to buy the best card I could find. I got a 1960 Topps Stan Musial. It was awesome holding that.

My first dozen vintage purchases as a kid, because I have since logged my items with good ol' Excel, were these cards:

1961 Topps 127 Ron Kline
1967 Topps 5 Whitey Ford

They were modest cards. My friends never had any vintage, but I liked the cards and enjoyed learning about the players.

Like the stories of many others, life happened. My cards were stored away in my parent's house. In 2021, I went to gather my old belongings and move them to my place. I found my cards. The nostalgia was great, thumbing through my albums and remembering the time spent organizing the cards. It re-kindled something. Last year, I bought a T206 Rube Waddell. I never thought I'd own a tobacco card. Those had only existed in magazine pictures. I then picked up a Zeenut and a couple of T201 Double Folders. My collection is small but growing again.

I can go online and see so many of the cards that I had always wanted. I can learn the backstories to the cards I enjoy. I discover new sets and cards all the time. There's always more to learn. That's why I lurked, joined, and still lurk.
Love this post! I felt the same as a kid. I was only kid with vintage cards.
Old 03-30-2022, 12:32 PM
Marcos

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrewUpWithJunkWax View Post

1961 Topps 127 Ron Kline
1967 Topps 5 Whitey Ford

I love this post - it parallels my story in a way. Except my childhood collecting occurred three decades earlier — in the 1960s. What a beautiful experience to return to the old homestead and discover the cards from your youth. The memories of childhood – and collecting - come rushing back!
Old 03-30-2022, 12:48 PM
Michael Skiles

Default Lurking

I agree with Casey. I don't post very often but, I do scan and read everyday and I enjoy the stories and friendly banter. I had complete Topps sets from 1955 to 1982 but, sold them in 1986 to buy my first house. Even though they have skyrocketed in value since, no regrets. I saved my Post Cereal and Jell-o cards and have since collected only Detroit Tiger sets, Lions, Pistons etc. I started collecting in 1962 and traded a shopping bag of model car parts for 2 shopping bags of baseball cards. (1955-1961). I then traded a slot car for a shopping bag of 1962 Topps. As for newer cards I have kept my Tiger team sets to the current date and left my Lions, Pistons and Red Wings as vintage. (1951-1980) I decided to build a 2012 Topps Gypsy Queen to "celebrate" my 50 years of collecting. I am very close to a master set, but doubt I will finish. (Need mini GQ and Straight Cut backs) The hockey cards posted here are GREAT! So, here are a couple of pictures from me.

Attachment 509633
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HF1.JPG (21.9 KB, 247 views)
File Type: jpg HF2.JPG (20.5 KB, 247 views)
File Type: jpg Jello Boxes.JPG (25.6 KB, 244 views)
Old 03-31-2022, 01:24 AM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by skil55voy View Post
I agree with Casey. I don't post very often but, I do scan and read everyday and I enjoy the stories and friendly banter. I had complete Topps sets from 1955 to 1982 but, sold them in 1986 to buy my first house. Even though they have skyrocketed in value since, no regrets. I saved my Post Cereal and Jell-o cards and have since collected only Detroit Tiger sets, Lions, Pistons etc. I started collecting in 1962 and traded a shopping bag of model car parts for 2 shopping bags of baseball cards. (1955-1961). I then traded a slot car for a shopping bag of 1962 Topps. As for newer cards I have kept my Tiger team sets to the current date and left my Lions, Pistons and Red Wings as vintage. (1951-1980) I decided to build a 2012 Topps Gypsy Queen to "celebrate" my 50 years of collecting. I am very close to a master set, but doubt I will finish. (Need mini GQ and Straight Cut backs) The hockey cards posted here are GREAT! So, here are a couple of pictures from me.

Attachment 509633
Those hockey transfers are tough. Nice piece. Can I assume Unger was with the Wings, hence the addition to your collection?

Regardless, nice tough pickup.
Old 03-31-2022, 05:44 AM
P.aul Orl,in

Love the hockey cards. The sweet caporal postcards should be known by every vintage sports card collector, I think they are the most beautiful cards ever made. I cant find my photo of the card i have from that set, but i will post an original vintage Hockey photo of the opening of the first professional game ever in madison square garden. I wish the hockey section in Net54 had any kind of activity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 62BEC2EA-685F-4394-AE7B-EBC3238FF1FF.jpg (191.9 KB, 193 views)
Old 03-31-2022, 06:37 AM
Seabr.en Re.eves

I collect/buy inexpensive 1952-1956 Topps (and Bowman) commons to give away each year as coach/President of my local Cal Ripken (6-12 year olds) league, at end of season as a cool/unique gift, and to instill a passion for the hobby and collecting by the next gen (attached examples).

I also create inexpensive personal displays to enjoy and inspire me, like seen in attached. A great way to enjoy the hobby without breaking the bank.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20220331_082725570.jpg (191.0 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220330_222823850.jpg (192.8 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220330_222456078.jpg (188.4 KB, 186 views)
Old 03-31-2022, 10:28 AM
Ben Gehler

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunswickreeves View Post
I collect/buy inexpensive 1952-1956 Topps (and Bowman) commons to give away each year as coach/President of my local Cal Ripken (6-12 year olds) league, at end of season as a cool/unique gift, and to instill a passion for the hobby and collecting by the next gen (attached examples).

I also create inexpensive personal displays to enjoy and inspire me, like seen in attached. A great way to enjoy the hobby without breaking the bank.
I love your view. At local card show setups, I like to give away a card to kids that has a story connected to it; but they have to find "what doesn't fit?" while looking at my vintage cards on display. My '71T Boots Day, "hiding" amongst the E98's, E90's, T205's, etc. does the trick; a favorite card of mine that I pulled from packs as a kid.

Once I have been caught, I pull out a Starlng Marte RC, for ex; slide it into a submission sleeve; give the card to the kid; hand to the adult, this sheet which explains his feat.

Good feel inside; mission accomplished.

Ben
Old 03-31-2022, 11:32 AM
Michael Skiles

Default Collectible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
Those hockey transfers are tough. Nice piece. Can I assume Unger was with the Wings, hence the addition to your collection?

Regardless, nice tough pickup.
I acquired it because it is a Post Cereal collectible. I think Unger was on the Blues at the time of issue.
Old 03-31-2022, 08:23 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Great posts, I've always respected and connected with working class collectors that have stayed true to their passion despite budgetary constraints. Keep the stories coming.

-
Old 04-01-2022, 06:02 AM
Seabr.en Re.eves

Quote:
Originally Posted by benge610 View Post
I love your view. At local card show setups, I like to give away a card to kids that has a story connected to it; but they have to find "what doesn't fit?" while looking at my vintage cards on display. My '71T Boots Day, "hiding" amongst the E98's, E90's, T205's, etc. does the trick; a favorite card of mine that I pulled from packs as a kid.

Once I have been caught, I pull out a Starlng Marte RC, for ex; slide it into a submission sleeve; give the card to the kid; hand to the adult, this sheet which explains his feat.

Good feel inside; mission accomplished.

Ben
-This is an awesome way to engage youth. Nothing more fun than a mini scavenger hunt, and fun reward at the end from some critical thinking and discovery. Love it!
Old 04-01-2022, 11:55 AM
Dan B

So I am probably the definition of this thread. I have been a member since 2009 and have only 26 posts. I get on a couple times each week and read the interesting posts and seem to learn something new.
I started collecting cards in 1974 as a 9 year old kid. We moved the next year and I met a high school aged kid who had a ton of vintage. So he agreed to sell me a 1953 Paige for $30. I saved all my newspaper boy money and was going to meet up to do the deal. That day he changed his mind and wanted to keep the Paige. Instead he sold me a T206 Mathewson portrait and a 1962 Topps Musial. I was bummed but after awhile realized I got the better of the deal. I have been hooked on vintage every since.
Old 04-01-2022, 01:11 PM
M-@-t-t--H-@-f-f-n-e-r

I also enjoy reading about these cards even though it doesn't fit my collecting budget. I started collecting in the late 60s and I still have most of those cards from my youth.

Why only most of them? Some of the older kids from the neighborhood found out that you could send cards away to get autographed by sending them to players through the Baseball Hall of Fame. I got a bunch of autographs that way, but I probably had almost as many cards never come back. It probably wasn't a good idea to test this process by sending five Mantles (53-58) at once. Those VG cards never came back.

I never bothered to find out if all of the autographs were real. The story going around our neighborhood was that Ted Williams had (a) a stamp or (b) a sister that signed the cards. One friend got his cards back 2 1/2 years after sending them.