NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-22-2016, 09:05 PM

Default OT: A reminder that card collector's are not the only passionate collectors out there

A respite from our everyday love/obsession:

http://www.kare11.com/news/local/lan...house/88817062
Old 03-22-2016, 09:18 PM
Bry@n

Thank you for posting this - I will show it to my wife the next time she gives me that look where I know she is wondering if she would be better off with someone who doesn't collect vintage baseball cards - at least they don't overrun our house.

Last edited by Jobu; 03-23-2016 at 04:32 PM.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:25 PM
Rob

There used to be a great TV show, "The Incurable Collector." " Collection Intervention" was good, too. People collect anything and everything.
Old 03-23-2016, 04:54 AM
Steven H.

Crazy!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pre-1950 Cuban Cards: Focus on Billiken, Macionales, & Aguilitas
Old 03-23-2016, 06:12 AM
Daryl

That was a great read, Brian. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:19 AM

Thanks for posting this. A happy and a sad story, all in one. I feel sad for Dennis that he did not have a wife and family. No doubt his home would have looked much different if he had. Obviously, his fulfillment in life came from his faith in Jesus, and his model car collection. While it won't be easy to sell that massive collection, the proceeds will truly be put to good use.

Model cars got under my skin before collecting baseball cards. However, much as I liked my toy cars, the companies rarely produced models of the cars I really admired and wanted, as seen in the pages of the three sports car magazines my family subscribed to: Road & Track, Sports Cars Illustrated (which became Car & Driver), and Sports Car Graphic.

Many years later, there were enough enthusiasts like me that made our desires known, and were rewarded by, 1/43rd models of the highest caliber that became most fulfilling to this once frustrated boy. My model car collection means a lot more to me than my baseball and hockey cards.

Anyway, thank you kindly once again for sharing Dennis's story and legacy with us. --Brian Powell
Old 03-23-2016, 12:49 PM
Bob Davies

Why would anyone buy that many toy cars?

Old 03-23-2016, 03:15 PM

I met a book collect last weekend. He said he build shelves for 12 rooms and has over 90,000 books. So I am sure there are hardcore collectors of all sorts of things out there, but mostly the topic doesn't come up or you don't get to talk to those kinds of people that often.
Old 03-23-2016, 03:30 PM
Jeff Lowe

Default If my wife saw this thread she would add this

lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (5.0 KB, 385 views)
Old 03-23-2016, 04:18 PM
Al Richter

Default Cereal Boxes

The Week featured an article on cereal box collectors ( not sports). Pretty interesting
Old 03-23-2016, 07:33 PM
Val Kehl

I wonder what % of the population avidly collects something.
Old 03-24-2016, 04:41 AM
Joe

Many passionate collectors of many different things. Here is an article that was done on me and my starting lineup collection. I am a huge toy collector and dabble in cards

http://www.mademan.com/obsessed-joe-...arting-lineup/
Old 03-24-2016, 05:45 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

I enjoyed watching the video, what a collection! But another thought was how his church was surprised to find it? I read through the comments section, and someone else had the same thought:
"Apparently, few if any of his fellow church members bothered to visit him, and get to know him"
Maybe there is a message board out there where Dennis was able to share his collection. Sharing cards and stories is one of the things I like about Net54 and OBC, but in person I've only shared my collection once or twice.
Larry
Old 03-24-2016, 06:57 AM
Joe

My family and I volunteer regularly at a local charity that provides home goods to needy families. The items range from furniture, clothes, kitchen items, toys…just about anything a family may need. These could be refugee families, families in financial need, or those that have lost much from a disaster.

We provide many toys to children. The families are referred by a service agency and arrange a visit to the charity location where they select the items they need. Recently an older couple came in to receive items. Apparently the man was passionate about Moose. It turns out within the toys section we had many stuffed Moose animals (plush toys, not the real thing). The older man walked out with a pile of stuffed Moose toys and a smile on his face. I later learned his house is full of Moose. To each his own…I was glad to see him be happy.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:00 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by curch View Post
Many passionate collectors of many different things. Here is an article that was done on me and my starting lineup collection. I am a huge toy collector and dabble in cards

http://www.mademan.com/obsessed-joe-...arting-lineup/
Thank you for posting, your posts always bring a huge smile to my face! Ice cream and toys if that is not living the dream I don't know what is. Good luck on finding the McMahon.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:46 AM
octavio ranzola

I collect vintage toys ,love the look of them ,,
Old 03-24-2016, 01:46 PM
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Thank you for posting, your posts always bring a huge smile to my face! Ice cream and toys if that is not living the dream I don't know what is. Good luck on finding the McMahon.
Thank you! I am glad you enjoy!
Old 03-24-2016, 03:33 PM
Grant Rainsley

GREAT story......and still on the cars theme, how about this guy? Restore bumper cars and can't part with most of them..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VUl4Pil7rM
Successful deals with dkbobasa, Mintacular, Hangman, Donscards, Bocabirdman, Goferboy00, Digdugdig, jimivintage, baseballart, jimmysuitcase, 39special, smokeyburgess, scooter, shorttmail66, KCDoughboy, Andrew1975, t206fix, Eggoman, others.

Member of OBC. www.oldbaseball.com
Old 03-24-2016, 05:36 PM
Bruce Mattioli

Nice story.. A true collector gets it, others do not.. For the true collector it's a life long passion and journey to collect. I like the way he had everyting displayed to view..
Old 03-26-2016, 12:22 PM

[QUOTE=LuckyLarry;1518562]I enjoyed watching the video, what a collection! But another thought was how his church was surprised to find it? I read through the comments section, and someone else had the same thought:
"Apparently, few if any of his fellow church members bothered to visit him, and get to know him"

You know, Lucky Larry, have you ever thought about how private Dennis might have been about his collection? He very well may have discouraged his pastor or people at his church from coming to see him. Or, he may have told them, "Let's meet somewhere for coffee and donuts." We will never know.

Dennis, in all likelihood, knew he would tend to be misunderstood, or even judged as a crazy eccentric, by the very people he saw and worshiped Jesus with each week. Most of the time, we are more concerned and nervous that people will like us, accept us, and enjoy our company.

Let's bring this close to "our home", here. I'm an old school dinosaur, though I love to email and obviously use the internet. However, when I have wanted to have a phone conversation with any of you chaps, in essence, the response has been, "OH NO, I CAN'T DO THAT!!! NO, NEVER!!!!!!!!! ARE YOU WANTING TO SPY ON ME? YOU MIGHT BE A CON MAN! GET AWAY FROM ME! I'M GONNA CLAM UP LIKE AN OYSTER! LEAVE ME ALONE! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

Is it written in the Net54.com rules that members are discouraged, or outright forbidden, to phone one another, as in the 90s? This emailing takes a long time, and too often I perceive it as superficial, or even shallow.

A familiar saying of today ends this not so much rant, but regret: It is what it is.

For what it's worth, I too hope Dennis found a rousing chat forum on model cars. I know they're out there. I for one would have loved to have been taken on a tour by Dennis to see his collection, to ask him,

How did you get started collecting model cars?

Did you select a particular scale, for your collection to be consistent?

Why that scale?

What's your favorite model, Dennis, and why?

Was there a piece you were hunting for for years and years, that you never thought you'd come across, and finally got? Could I see that one? Tell me about it, please.

What is your favorite make of car to collect? Why?

What's your favorite era? Why?

Doesn't this sound like some of our threads? Guess the difference with me is that I prefer having a personal conversation. You see, I was born in 1954.

Dennis, I wish we couldda been friends, brother. Some day, we will be.

---Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 04-06-2016 at 11:32 AM.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:55 AM

For those into stereo headphones, check out www.head-fi.org -- a remarkable website devoted to the hobby of collecting, discussing, b/s/t headphones. Serious listeners hold 'meets.' I saw some pix on the website of a recent meet in Annandale, Va. Looked like the same group of nerds who attend card shows. In fact, I'll probably be at the next meet.