NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-28-2010, 08:32 AM
John Wondowski

Default I'm getting some extra rest for REA Saturday

How long does Rob's auction typically run?
Old 04-28-2010, 08:36 AM
qualitycards

Believe last years ended about 4ish
Old 04-28-2010, 08:39 AM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

I also seem to remember it ended about 4:00AM EST
Old 04-28-2010, 08:42 AM
John Wondowski

Wow - if I am in anything at midnight that will probably be it. I'll just go to sleep and dream of winning something.

I always seem to be an underbidder when I do that.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:44 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Get REAdy
Old 04-28-2010, 09:18 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

They should probably do what Heritage does (I believe) and end individual lots if there has been no bidding on that lot for 30 minutes, rather than all lots are open if there is any bidding on any one lot.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:28 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
They should probably do what Heritage does (I believe) and end individual lots if there has been no bidding on that lot for 30 minutes, rather than all lots are open if there is any bidding on any one lot.
I like the current way, gotta work for it!
Old 04-28-2010, 09:28 AM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
While I can certainly see this point from a bidder's perspective, consignors would much rather have the money that doesn't win cards late in the night available for allocation to their auctions. At least if you didn't bid in the item before 4:00PM on Saturday, you are closed out of entering the bidding on a new item late.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 04-28-2010, 09:31 AM
Barry Sloate

It might be easier to go to sleep early and set your alarm for 2:00 AM.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:43 AM
John Wondowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Now there's a thinking man!
Old 04-28-2010, 09:46 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Barry, don't you old guys normally wake up around 2 am to pee? That's like a built-in REA alarm clock, no? (I'm actually laughing as I type this)
Old 04-28-2010, 09:48 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

That's actually a great tactic for people on the East Coast.... doesn't work as well for us left-coast people.

I kinda like it the way it is, so I can shift my bids around (once I am inevitably outbid on my #1, 2, and 3 choices )
Old 04-28-2010, 09:53 AM
Barry Sloate

Jeff- I wish it were only once a night.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:06 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

The 30min rule / extended session is supposed to prevent the sniping you see on eBay and get the maximum bid for an item. However, I don't know if this necessarily gets the maximum money for consignors. I think it's more of an advantage (probably) for bidders on the West Coast who can stay up later (4am EST is *only* 1am PST). You have the max bid on your item, and there is no bidding on it for hours, and you go to bed thinking that you have won the auction. Then you wake up, and somebody puts in a bid at 3am EST because that bidder is aware of the typically end times for these auctions. I know that you are supposed to put in your max autobid, but I would think that pretty much everyone would re-think that max bid in extended session. This is just IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
While I can certainly see this point from a bidder's perspective, consignors would much rather have the money that doesn't win cards late in the night available for allocation to their auctions. At least if you didn't bid in the item before 4:00PM on Saturday, you are closed out of entering the bidding on a new item late.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:21 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Quote:

that's cheating
Old 04-28-2010, 10:23 AM
Barry Sloate

We've had this discussion before, but there is a flaw in a system that has an extended bidding period that lasts nearly twelve hours. Almost all of the serious bidding is past midnight, making the 4:00 PM -12:00 AM period somewhat superfluous. There is nothing that compels people to bid during this eight hour period, and there is in fact great incentive for them to wait.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:25 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Barry's right; I don't even look at the REA bidding until 1 am. That being said, Rob is just trying to wring every last nickel out of the bidders that he can and no one can blame him for that.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:30 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default a few things....

In this conversation it's worth repeating that the Auctioneers work for their consignors. However they can get the most money for the lots is what is best for them. If we miss sleep 1-2 nights a year (there are other auctions with this kind of closing too) then so be it. The main thing is everyone should have a chance to bid as much as they want to. The individual lots closing each or the whole auction closing late, both work.

Our last auction(s) have ended around 3am and I didn't hear anyone say they didn't have time to bid. That really is the goal. Just my opinion and others will differ. I am looking forward to a late night and also to using our Chat room function again. Last year we had about 27 people in there, very late, bemoaing and lamenting those very late bidders . It was a lot of fun. OH, btw, it's Kentucky Derby day on Saturday so my family, and another, will be going to the local Texas racetrack and partying during the day and watching the Derby (on big TV's) and the local races. It's going to be a fun Saturday. Good luck to all who go strong for what they "need".
Old 04-28-2010, 10:32 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

I don't think it's truly when zero bids are coming in, at some point Rob has to just say enough is enough and just end the thing. That's how it was last year, so also be careful about waiting too long.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:37 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

That's exactly right... there was still sporadic bidding taking place when he cut it off.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:48 AM
Erich W

Didn't Rob choose to end initial bidding earlier this year to avoid bidding going on until 4AM (like it did last year)?

If so, what time did the initial bidding end last year? Don't remember.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:32 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Eric--I'll bet the auction goes past 3:00 AM EDT. Anyone want the other side?
Old 04-28-2010, 12:06 PM
Al

For me, the REA auction is the highlight of the hobby year. I love staying up all night, chatting with other collectors, wrestling with myself over whether or not to put in more bids. The "most recent bids" feature he installed last year made it even more fun, as you could watch the bidding wars.

Unfortunately I participated in the Bike NY 5 Bike Tour last year, which was the Sunday morning the auction closed. As such, I went to bed at around 11. When I woke up before 4 to get ready for my trip to Staten Island, the auction was still humming along. I actually placed a bid before I left - and was outbid.

This year I'm doing the same thing, so I will miss the auction close once again.

So please, have some compassion and don't bid on the stuff I want.

Thanks in advance,

-Al
Old 04-28-2010, 12:13 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al C.risafulli View Post
So please, have some compassion and don't bid on the stuff I want.

Thanks in advance,

-Al

Please provide a detailed list, including lot numbers and maximum bids, on anything you really want.

We'll do what we can.

Sincerely,

The Board
Old 04-28-2010, 12:20 PM
John Wondowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al C.risafulli View Post
The "most recent bids" feature he installed last year made it even more fun, as you could watch the bidding wars.

-Al
I just looked at that for the first time today - very cool!

I am amazed at the bidding frequency going on right now - several dozen each hour.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:39 PM
Barry Sloate

I didn't want to suggest that the auction should end early at the expense of bidders or consignors. My comment was directed towards all the dead time in the first eight hours of the bonus period. If something compelled bidders to start bidding earlier everyone could still get all their bids in.

I know there are insomniacs out there who look at staying up all night as an adventure, but I am sure that more than half the bidders don't find it to be much fun. And many are simply unable to do so. This has nothing to do with me, since I am not an aggressive bidder. I set my limits and almost never go past them. So I can place those bids anytime.

Maybe there could be an incentive to get people to start bidding before 1:00 AM. For example, anyone who gets all his bids in before 11:00 PM Eastern Time would get a $5 gift certificate to Taco Bell. Something as enticing as that would unquestionably get the auction to end at a reasonable hour.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:22 PM
Phil Garry

This idea might be impossible to implement but how about a sliding buyer's premium scale where the juice percentage starts out lower and subsequently increases on those bids placed later (I remember seeing this concept used somewhere, maybe Fusco Auctions?)

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 04-28-2010 at 01:23 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:36 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default not quite...but almost

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
This idea might be impossible to implement but how about a sliding buyer's premium scale where the juice percentage starts out lower and subsequently increases on those bids placed later (I remember seeing this concept used somewhere, maybe Fusco Auctions?)
From what I can remember Steve Verkman had a small penalty for bidding late in his auctions, at least at one time. It was a bit more percentage or something along those lines. I don't know if he still has that. Huggins and Scott tried a sliding scale in their auctions, for a few auctions, and the more the hammer was, the less percentage BP was paid. They have since reverted back to a static BP rate. I don't remember any other new concepts except the one that Scott and I do in our auction, which is to allow bidding on any lot, at any time, even if you have not bid before the extended bidding. That strategy has worked well though it could be argued it is a disincentive to early bidders. We have had good success with it and will probably continue. Our auctions are smaller than some others and that might make a difference. regards

Last edited by Leon; 04-28-2010 at 01:43 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:36 PM
Barry Sloate

Phil- that would be extremely complicated and would cost the auction house too much money. What I implemented successfully was a descending clock. There was a 15 minute clock up to say 11:00 PM, then it became a 10 minute clock, and finally a 5 minute one. That lets bidders know they have to get their bids in.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:55 PM
Barry Arnold

Default rest

I will say it once again.
I do so every six months or so.
I sure miss Barry Sloate's auctions.

best,
barry
Old 04-28-2010, 02:47 PM
Gr.eg Per.ry

From the REA rules:

Quote:
4. The final day of bidding for all Lots is Saturday, May 1, 2010. Bids may be placed at any time prior to 4:00 PM EDT, May 1, 2010. The auction is scheduled to close at 4:00 PM EDT on May 1, 2010, HOWEVER, we will continue to accept bids after 4:00 PM EDT on all lots in the auction until approximately 15 minutes pass without either a phone or internet bid. IF YOU HAVE NOT BID ON AN ITEM BEFORE 4:00 PM, YOU CANNOT BID ON IT AFTER 4:00 PM. To ensure that everyone can get through to bid, we will remain open for bids until approximately fifteen minutes pass without a bid. If the line is busy, we are still accepting calls. This system is designed to reward bidders, not the person who can stay up the latest. If the auction continues to as late as 11 P.M. EDT on May 1, 2010, Robert Edward Auctions reserves the right to close the auction, at its sole discretion, at any time. We recommend bidders leave maximum left bids utilizing Robert Edward Auctions’ “Honest Auto-Bid” system to avoid disappointment. There will be no warning as to exactly when we will close the auction should bidding continue past 11:00 P.M. EDT. We do not anticipate the auction to remain open past 2:00 A.M. EDT (technically the morning of May 2, 2010). This closing system is designed to reward bidders, and eliminate all strategies which needlessly encourage the auction to remain open many hours into the following day, potentially giving an advantage to bidders who have the ability to stay up the latest. When the auction is over, callers will be greeted with a message informing them that the auction is over, and a message will also appear on our website stating that all bidding is closed. All lots remain open for bidding until the close of the entire auction. All lots are closed simultaneously.
In my opinion the flaw in this system is what it says in the last two sentences:

Quote:
lots remain open for bidding until the close of the entire auction. All lots are closed simultaneously.
To avoid the all night bidding, all you would have to do is, after the close time of 4PM, close each individual lot after 15 minutes pass without bidding. Only the lots where active bidding was taking place would remain open.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:54 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by M's_Fan View Post

To avoid the all night bidding, all you would have to do is, after the close time of 4PM, close each individual lot after 15 minutes pass without bidding. Only the lots where active bidding was taking place would remain open.
That would prevent bidders from changing strategies and shifting to a different item, if they are past their limit on another item.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:05 PM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post
That would prevent bidders from changing strategies and shifting to a different item, if they are past their limit on another item.
Exactly right. To close each lot individually is only a benefit to certain bidders, but certainly not consignors. Let's say you have $10,000 to bid in the auction and you are going hard after a T206 Green Cobb which eclipses the $10,000 mark at 11:00 PM. Under an individually closed lot auction, that $10,000 might not get spent on another lot if it has already closed. But in REA, you can move that $10,000 to other auctions after 11:00 PM.

@SignedT206

Last edited by T206Collector; 04-28-2010 at 03:06 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:19 PM
David McDonald

Default The West Coast Advantage on steroids

Four a.m. EDT = Ten p.m. HST
'Nuf ced except I still gotta 544 (go shi shi) at two a.m.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:23 PM
Gr.eg Per.ry

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
Exactly right. To close each lot individually is only a benefit to certain bidders, but certainly not consignors. Let's say you have $10,000 to bid in the auction and you are going hard after a T206 Green Cobb which eclipses the $10,000 mark at 11:00 PM. Under an individually closed lot auction, that $10,000 might not get spent on another lot if it has already closed. But in REA, you can move that $10,000 to other auctions after 11:00 PM.
That's a good point. But the system incentivizes bidders to bid low and early, then wait till after the Auction closing time to place their real bid. This result isn't really to the benefit of consignors either. I suppose the best way is to reduce the 15 minute rule to 10 minutes, or even 5 minutes. After a month to think about it what your max is on an item, you don't need that that much more time.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:33 PM
Barry Sloate

I could even make a case that keeping the auction going until 4:00 AM could hurt consignors. A bidder might place his bid early and be high until the wee hours of the morning. He finally decides he can't stay up any longer and goes to bed, only to discover in the morning he's been topped. He then complains that had he been awake, he would have gladly placed another bid. So in this example the lot went for less, not more.

And of course the ceiling bid is the antidote to this but many bidders refuse to place one.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:46 PM
Phil Garry

I like that concept, Barry (the 15 - 10 - 5). Do you think it would help with a 1700+ lot auction like this? If so, I am all in favor of it.......

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 04-28-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:50 PM

I have honestly never heard one complaint from a consignor on our 30-minute per lot policy.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:51 PM
Barry Sloate

Phil- I think for a 1700 lot auction I might want to give thought to fine tuning it a little. Granted, the system could crash at the very end, and that would be a disaster. I still maintain the auction close as it stands is flawed and needs a little rethinking. But it's Rob's auction and it's his call, not mine.

Last edited by barrysloate; 04-28-2010 at 03:51 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:01 PM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by M's_Fan View Post
After a month to think about it what your max is on an item, you don't need that that much more time.
No, but I still think that bidders need time to reallocate their funds when their max on an item is eclipsed late in the game.

@SignedT206
Old 04-28-2010, 04:08 PM
Michael S

Operation "stay awake" has already gone into effect for me this Saturday night/Sunday morn. There is too much nice stuff for me to crash and then lose when I wake up. I know you can leave max bids but with the amount of lots I am interested in I treat this like draft day in the NFL and my card room is the war room for the weekend and my "board" is always changing based on the progress of the auction.

Lots of fun and as mentioned by Leon above, the chat room was fun last year and a riot at 3-4am on a Sunday when waiting for the auction to close and someone keeps bidding on 75 "mini's"!
Old 04-28-2010, 04:09 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default If I were a consignor

If I were a consignor to REA this year I would be happy the way it closes.

Barry- I think you are probably in the minority about "sleep". For collecting addicts we can do without much of it for a day or two a year. If there was something I HAD to have I would be watching the finish of the auction.

Also, many s/w packages won't allow closing lots individually. I am not sure about REA's s/w, as to that aspect, at the moment.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:11 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Do you guys realize that every year in the days prior to and during the wee hours of the end of REA's auction we provide Rob with a hundred different ideas for his auction? And every year they're the same!
Old 04-28-2010, 04:32 PM
Barry Sloate

Leon- I probably am in the minority but I am also not a collector. I just look for values so I know my limits long before the close.

But I still maintain that with a different system exactly the same number of bids could be placed, with no harm to the bidder or consignor, and the auction could close earlier. Maybe there are many collectors who are willing to stay up until 4:00 AM, but I doubt many of them would complain if the auction ended on its own at an earlier hour. If you had all your limit bids in by 1:00 AM and then the auction closed, and you got the lots you wanted, what's the downside?
Old 04-28-2010, 04:35 PM
Barry Sloate

I'm actually curious what people think about whether auctions close too late or not, and wanted to do a poll. Of course, I spent ten minutes clicking every link and could not figure out how to do it.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:47 PM
Tim

Quote:
I'm actually curious what people think about whether auctions close too late or not, and wanted to do a poll. Of course, I spent ten minutes clicking every link and could not figure out how to do it.
Barry -

You have to start a new thread. Then select the "Post A Pole" option just above the "Submit" "Preview" buttons.

Last edited by Abravefan11; 04-28-2010 at 04:48 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:54 PM
Barry Sloate

I tried Tim and still got flustered. Jim VB is going to set it up for me.

I think I just figured it out but I'll wait and see if Jim does it first.

Last edited by barrysloate; 04-28-2010 at 04:56 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:18 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abravefan11 View Post
Barry -

You have to start a new thread. Then select the "Post A Pole" option just above the "Submit" "Preview" buttons.

Tim,

LOL!

"Post a Pole"????

Wonka is holding for you, on line 2.

(Just came back from dinner and see that Barry has figured it out.)

Last edited by Jim VB; 04-28-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:26 PM
David McDonald

Old 04-28-2010, 06:28 PM
Barry Sloate

Did you know that the center for the Warsaw basketball team is a ten foot Pole?