NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-19-2008, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Default 1933 Goudey Blue Backs

Posted By: Jon Canfield

REA will be auctioning off a blue-back Ruth. Does anyone have any information on the blue back Goudeys? Any idea where they came from, their purpose (a test issue, missing ink), etc?

PhotobucketPhotobucket

======================================
For the premier online souce of information on baseball-related cigarette packs, visit http://www.baseballandtobacco.com

Old 11-19-2008, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Pennsylvania Ted

The BLUE printing on this card has to be the result of running out of YELLOW ink to create the normal GREEN lettering on the
backs of the 1933 Goudey's.

I've put together two 239-card sets, seen a lot of 33G's in my time; and, never seen a blue ink one....has to be a color error.

But, then I've been wrong before.

T-Rex TED

Old 11-19-2008, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

I have seen a couple of these before, but they are very scarce. I think King can give more background on these.
JimB

Old 11-19-2008, 10:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon Canfield

Ted - that was one of my initial thoughta as well. The Ruth does appear to be handcut which really doesn't help in the analysis since it could mean that the printer ran out of ink and sheets were pulled from circulation and then cut up, or it could mean these were pre-production cards, etc.

I know Rob Lifson has handled a '33 Goudey Manush with blue printing in the past.

======================================
For the premier online souce of information on baseball-related cigarette packs, visit http://www.baseballandtobacco.com

Old 11-19-2008, 10:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bobby Binder

I would think it only make sense they printed the backs with a single screen with the color being Green or in this case Blue. I think the theory of the yellow ink running out would not apply here.

Old 11-19-2008, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff S.

Agree Bobby - you would more than likely have misaligned backs revealing both blue and yellow if this were the case.

Old 11-19-2008, 12:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

I have never seen a blue back Goudey before in my 40+ years of collecting. Jim must get around much better than me.

Old 11-19-2008, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Red

I have seen bluish back ink Goudey cards but the ones I've seen were caused by the color shifting due to bleaching by chemical or light. Green ink is not pure green. It's a soup of blue and yellow ink. If exposed to bleaching the yellow will start going and the color you see will be less like green and leaning more and more to blue. While it's certainly possible that Goudey could have produced cards with blue text, either by intent or by mistake, it is something that could occur naturally through environmental damage, or on purpose by somebody with a junior scientist's kit. What is a little unusual with this card is that there's no ink on the back from a wet sheet transfer which is very common for 33's. If the card was bleached then that would be wiped clean. I'd be much more comfortable if the blue was on a card with the wet sheet transfer ink on it too. But if it's a proof, then the ink from a transfer wouldn't be there so a clean black would be normal. If it was known to have come from some sort of Goudey archives find then it would have a lot more premium than a card with no story behind it.

Old 11-19-2008, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

these are 1950's reprints printed up by collectors. happy.gif

Old 11-19-2008, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

You're killing me, Dennis.

-Al