NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-23-2024, 08:33 PM

Default I'm Balticfox and here's my story!

When it comes to trading cards I’m a completist, a set builder of the sharpest, whitest, brightest cards I can find. I’m tough on corners and toning but I’m easy on centering. I’ll accept cards that are well off center so long as they are not miscut.

I collect them raw and unslabbed for three reasons. The first is that I’ve always collected cards raw ever since I was a little kid. Secondly, they’re too bulky to store or even handle when slabbed. Thirdly, my grading priorities are not the same as those of the grading companies. I’m very tough on toning which they seem to ignore, but I’m easy on centering while they penalize off-center cards heavily.

My collection of non-sports cards ranges from the late 1940’s to the mid 1970’s - but the sets I most treasure are typically from the 1957-1965 period which coincides with those cards I remember accumulating as a kid.

The first cards to which I was exposed were the 1957 Hit Stars:

My older sister had brought a few home. She was looking for Yul Brynner, a search doomed to frustration since there was no Yul Brynner card in the set.

I started first grade in September 1958 and remember admiring Topps Flags of the World, TV Westerns and Zorro cards in the schoolyard.

The first cards I ever owned though were four 1958-59 Topps Hockey cards which I gathered off the street one January or February day in 1959. The first three were Detroit Red Wings, but the last was a Chicago Blackhawk. When I saw that big Indian head on the red uniform, I knew that was my favourite team - even though I might have had trouble reading the team name at the time!

I then admired the 1959 Baseball cards in the schoolyard:

But the first cards I ever bought and collected were the 1959 CFL cards:

These first few cards to which I was exposed left a lifelong imprint upon me. I ended up collecting the CFL, Hockey and Baseball cards almost every year thereafter until I graduated from grade eight in 1965.

I was also well aware of the various non-sport sets such as You’ll Die Laughing, Funny Valentines, Wacky Plaks, Sports Cars, etc. that O-Pee-Chee was marketing in my corner of London, Ontario at the time but the first non-sport cards I collected in a big way were the 1962 Leaf Spook Stories:

The 1962 Topps Civil War News cards came next:

The summer of 1963 was when I went big time, however. One of my buddies Anthony proposed that we pool our efforts and collections and just collect any card we could get our hands on. This was initially to his benefit because the 1963 baseball cards I had lying around dwarfed his meager stock. Nonetheless, over the ensuing two years Anthony and I amassed close to 4500 different cards. Needless to say, sheer numbers as opposed to condition was our defining priority.

Strangely enough though, we succeeded in gathering up most of the sports cards issued in our neck of the woods back to the 1960-61 Hockey cards. But any cards older than these were very tough to find and we only had a very few examples from even sets as large as the 1960 Baseball. In fact, coming across any pre-1961 cards in the schoolyard was such an uncommon occurrence that it seemed to be an almost magical event. And even today I feel the same sense of wonder, the same sense of magic, perusing the pre-1961 cards that I have even if they number in the hundreds and fill a binder!

Among the cards we managed to acquire was a wild but very curious one called “Hairy Fiend” which we got in a generic pack while trick or treating on Halloween. We’d never encountered any of this set before and without the wrapper didn’t even know it was from a set called Mars Attacks. Nonetheless, it became our favourite card.

When I went off to boarding school in Kennebunkport, Maine for grade nine, I just turned my half interest in the cards we’d accumulated over to Anthony who was a grade behind me. Bad mistake. Within six months or so he too lost interest in the cards which were approaching 6500 in number at the time and gave them to Billy, the snot-nosed kid across the street. Anthony’s thinking was that Billy would carry the torch so to speak and continue to build on the collection. To Anthony’s horror and dismay though, Billy went and scrambled the cards in front of his eyes! That’s right, he tossed the contents of the whole box up into the air just to watch every other little kid on the street scramble to get as many as he could! Anthony still grouses about that to this very day some 58 years later now.

I also collected the premium coins that were issued in jelly desserts and potato chips up until I graduated from grade school. The plastic Shirriff/Salada Hockey coins, the plastic Shirriff Baseball coins, the Jell-O/Hostess Aircraft Wheels, the Krun-Chee Fightin’ Warships and the 1963 Humpty Dumpty/Krun-Chee CFL coins were the ones that drew my most avid interest - and dimes.

But you know the memory of these cards never left me. I’d often think back to my collecting days and wish I still had my CFL and other cards even when I was in my late teens but I thought that there was no way I could ever reassemble what I’d had as a kid. I thought they were all lost forever and could only live on in my dreams. Then came an article in the Canadian Magazine supplement to the Saturday London Free Press in 1969 or so. It featured Angelo Savelli of Hamilton, who was described as the world’s biggest card collector with every card ever produced (much exaggerated of course). Angelo had evidently started buying sports cards in 1948 and never stopped. The article filled me with an incredible longing for the cards I’d once had, cards that I thought were now lost in the mists of time. Nostalgia/curiousity prompted me to buy a few packs of the 1971 CFL, 1971-72 NHL and 1972 CFL cards over the next couple of years or so. (I actually felt a bit sheepish and embarrassed buying little kids’ cards at the time!)

Flash forward a few years to 1979. I had finished university and had been working in Toronto for a couple of years. I discovered that the big city had four comic shops. Two of them carried old gum cards as well! The first sets I bought at the comic shops were Man from U.N.C.L.E., Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea and the first two Funny Valentine sets. (I was a super confident young man by then and I didn't give a tinker's damn what anybody else thought of me.) Shortly thereafter I discovered that the main comic shop in Hamilton also carried cards. When the proprietor pulled out NM (or so I thought at the time) sets of the 1959, 1960, 1963 and 1964 CFL cards, I could not reach for my wallet quickly enough! Prizes beyond belief! As was the Civil War News set he had and the You’ll Die Laughing set I picked up a few weeks later at a comic show.

When I bought the first edition of Christopher Benjamin’s Non-Sport Price Guide in the mid-1980’s, I realized that the “Hairy Fiend” card we’d had twenty years before belonged to the notorious Mars Attacks set.

I’ve steadily added to my card collections since that time. I now have a fabulous collection of non-sports, CFL and Hockey cards and I’ve even made decent inroads into Baseball cards from the 1954-1965 period as well. I’ve also amassed one of the best collections anywhere of those premium coins to which I referred earlier e.g. Shirriff Hockey and Baseball, Humpty Dumpty CFL, Fightin’ Warships, Space Orbit, Rocky & Bullwinkle, etc.

I file my cards these days in binders by subject category. Here are a few of these binders:

I used to feel an incredible sense of longing whenever I saw the type of old variety store at which I used to buy my cards and comics as a kid. No more though. My collection now of most cards is so far beyond what I dreamed of having as a kid that I’ve shed that sense of loss.

I also eventually met Angelo Savelli in the mid-1980’s at a small card show in Toronto where he had set up to sell cards and he became a friend of mine. It was at the big semi-annual Toronto Sportcard and Memorabilia Expo in 2005 or so where I saved one of his binders full of expensive hockey cards from the 1930’s and 1940’s from a thief. I noticed that a tall young fellow at the other end of Angie’s table had scooped up what appeared to be one of Angie’s binders and walked off briskly down the aisle. Angie himself was on the other side of the table and was in no position to give chase so I set off after the fellow myself. I caught him before he got to the door of the hall and said “Excuse me, but is that your binder?” Much to my surprise, the fellow just said no and shoved the binder into my hands. While I stood there gawking for a second or two, he swiftly made his exit through the door. Oh well. I’m not in the business of apprehending thieves anyway, but I’d managed the most important detail which was getting Angie’s binder back for him.

Since Angie sold almost all his cards other than the Hockey and CFL around the turn of the century and I’ve accumulated so many cards myself in the last 45 years, I no longer envy Angie for his cards. How the circle turns! (Sadly Angie himself passed away in February this year.)

But you know I still don’t have a NM “Hairy Fiend” card.

Last edited by Balticfox; Yesterday at 06:05 PM.
Old 09-23-2024, 08:39 PM
Ben North

Great cards, welcome to the site it is awesome with a lot of great info/people.
Old 09-23-2024, 08:50 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Great story and fun collection, thanks for posting and welcome to the asylum.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 09-23-2024, 09:13 PM
J@mes In.gram

Best introduction I have seen since I have been on this forum, and that is saying something. Welcome, sir!

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 09-23-2024, 09:15 PM
And.rew Whi.te

I am not one for non-sport cards but that Hit Stars set really hit me hard. I have attempted to put that set together a few times and gave up to focus on baseball. I keep thinking about that set and someday I am going to make a run at it.

Welcome tot he boards.
Old 09-23-2024, 09:53 PM
Al Stein

Great post, Balticfox. Welcome to the board!

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Old 09-23-2024, 10:29 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I slightly edited the Murray Head song, One Night in Bangkok, to fit your early life:

"In a SHOW CARD SET with everything but Yul Brenner..."

Welcome aboard!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 09-23-2024, 10:42 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Welcome, Balticfox! What a great story.
Old Yesterday, 04:39 AM
Paul Lehr

That was a great post.
I don't currently collect sets of cards in binders, but your post made me want to start.
Old Yesterday, 05:55 AM
Albert Bee

Default story

yes, very cool story !
Old Yesterday, 08:40 AM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEHR View Post
That was a great post.
I don't currently collect sets of cards in binders, but your post made me want to start.
+1

Reminds me of collecting Ryne Sandberg in binder sheets as a kid. There was nothing more fun than getting dropped off at the mall on a Saturday with a few bucks in my pocket to spend at the card shop. I’d flip through boxes looking for Rynos I didn’t have, and rearrange my binder to fit them when I got home.

Last edited by 4815162342; Yesterday at 08:43 AM. Reason: .
Old Yesterday, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
+1

Reminds me of collecting Ryne Sandberg in binder sheets as a kid. There was nothing more fun than getting dropped off at the mall on a Saturday with a few bucks in my pocket to spend at the card shop. I’d flip through boxes looking for Rynos I didn’t have, and rearrange my binder to fit them when I got home.
I fondly recall constantly shuffling the contents of my rookie card binder based on new additions and the month's Beckett prices.
Old Yesterday, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEHR View Post
How then do you store/keep your cards? In card boxes?

Old Yesterday, 09:47 AM
Fred

Welcome aboard. Long post, a fun read. Great rational for not getting into the grading craze. Great way to collect (sports/non-sports). It keeps things fresh and realistic.
Old Yesterday, 11:52 AM
Paul Lehr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balticfox View Post
How then do you store/keep your cards? In card boxes?

I'm not really a set collector and what I do have is housed in Card Saver 1's or is slabbed. Just my personal preference. I haven't owned a binder with cards in it for 20+ years; although your post brought back that nostalgic appeal.
Old Yesterday, 04:55 PM
Bruce Mattioli

Welcome true collector.. What a journey and story. You will like it here..