NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-31-2024, 09:35 PM
Joe M.

Default Safe payment when selling $20,000.00 card.?

What is a safe payment when selling a $20,000.00 card? Not selling in auction or ebay. Private Sale. Thanks joe.

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 05-31-2024, 09:40 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmtiger View Post
What is a safe payment when selling a $20,000.00 card? Not selling in auction or ebay. Private Sale. Thanks joe.
Personal check, wire transfer, PayPal, Venmo, etc.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 06-01-2024, 04:52 AM
Scott Russell

if it's a through the mail transaction:

safe for the seller? cash, wire transfer, cashier's check

for the buyer? PP G&S, credit card
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 06-01-2024, 09:02 AM
Joe M.

Thanks. Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 06-01-2024, 09:43 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Personal check and wait a week for it to clear. Why let Venmo or something else take small bite out of it.
Old 06-01-2024, 11:11 AM

I'm thinking it's safe to say the buyer isn't someone with whom OP has an established hobby relationship. As a seller, for an amount this large, I would feel more comfortable with a cashier's check over a personal check, but that's just me. If I knew and trusted the other party, a personal check would always be fine. Of course, the buyer may very well have other ideas.
Old 06-01-2024, 01:01 PM
Rick Clemens

I have used zelle to pay for a large transaction of 5,000.00. It was with someone I know well. Shout out to Leon! Zelle usually has limits per day but there are no fees. A little riskier for the buyer then the seller as the money cannot be retrieved. Like paypal friends and family which also does not help if you claim you bought goods and didnt pay the 3.5% . If you are a buyer and dont know the person well any form of payment with no fees like a wire or check is similar to zelle or paypal f and f . The seller gets the money and you have no card. I buy expensive items from auction houses or people I know well only
Old 06-01-2024, 02:29 PM
Aaron Seefeldt

I recently sold a pretty expensive card (well over $20k) and the buyer and I did not know each other so we used REA as a middleman. I sent the card to REA and once he got confirmation that REA had the card, he paid with a cashier’s check but a personal check would have been just as good.

This is another one of the many many things that sets REA apart from other auction houses - the lost art of customer service.
Old 06-01-2024, 03:11 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

When reading the title of this thread, is anyone else involuntarily hearing the rousing chorus from the classic 'Sweet Charity'* song in their head????

"Hey, big spender!!!!!"

*Didn't actually know it was from that show until I just looked it up.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 06-01-2024, 05:33 PM
St@n Go.len

Bank wire. Don't F around.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 06-01-2024, 09:09 PM
Jim M.arinari

Many years ago I sold an item for about $10K and used an escrow service. I think it cost around $150 at the time. Agent (small Law firm) called when money had cleared and I shipped to him overnight, signature required. Package was opened with the buyer in office, then money was released and letter confirming transaction was issued. No claims that it never arrived, or fake money order, etc. I would imagine that it would cost more than that now, but it was seamless and reassuring for both parties.
Old 06-01-2024, 09:14 PM
Chris Eberhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmtiger View Post
$100 bills. Newer style with strips only. Check all 200 of them when you count it.
Old 06-02-2024, 08:58 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Interesting responses. As a seller, i always did pp f/f until recently i started to do Zelle thru my bank on a few deals.
I get that the buyer wants protection, so good to learn about folks here doing it by personal checks and wire transfers, as i have recently offered some high-end cards.
I am reluctant to sell on Ebay, as everyone is aware of how crap-shoot it is and their Auth Guarantee.
And as far as Auction houses go..its great, but your giving money away to them to sell your card, when you can do it yourself with a great bunch here.

btw- ^$1 singles counts too, dont mind the smells on it, but no red stains please. Some people work harder than an ugly stripper.
Old 06-02-2024, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deertick View Post
Many years ago I sold an item for about $10K and used an escrow service. I think it cost around $150 at the time. Agent (small Law firm) called when money had cleared and I shipped to him overnight, signature required. Package was opened with the buyer in office, then money was released and letter confirming transaction was issued. No claims that it never arrived, or fake money order, etc. I would imagine that it would cost more than that now, but it was seamless and reassuring for both parties.
While I am not sure of the current costs, if we're getting to the point where the fees get steep, then one of the two parties might as well just hop on a plane and the transaction can be made in person with a nice stack of cash (provided it's a domestic flight for the sake of the airfare cost). Of course, not everyone has the time...

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 06-02-2024 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-02-2024, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Interesting idea - I had never thought of using an escrow service. I see escrow.com performs a similar service (not an endorsement and I have never used them before).
Old 06-02-2024, 11:40 AM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
When reading the title of this thread, is anyone else involuntarily hearing the rousing chorus from the classic 'Sweet Charity'* song in their head????

"Hey, big spender!!!!!"

*Didn't actually know it was from that show until I just looked it up.
When reading this post, my mind instantly went to the movie European Vacation.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (190/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 06-02-2024, 01:55 PM
Jim Reynolds

Cash in person, and an off-duty police officer.
Old 06-02-2024, 02:08 PM
Matt G

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCoxDodgers3B View Post
While I am not sure of the current costs, if we're getting to the point where the fees get steep, then one of the two parties might as well just hop on a plane and the transaction can be made in person with a nice stack of cash (provided it's a domestic flight for the sake of the airfare cost). Of course, not everyone has the time...
That’s where my head is at.

If I’m buying a 20K card, it seems reasonable to hop on a flight and not worry about shipping issues either.

Plus you’ll have some fun memories that way!

M@tt G@lvin (formerly LarsHoneyToast)

T206 HOF'ers: 10/76

1956 Topps HOF’ers: 8/36
Old 06-02-2024, 03:45 PM

It depends on your perspective. For some people, $20,000 is a hell of a lot of money. For others, $20,000 is pocket change.
Old 06-02-2024, 04:05 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCoxDodgers3B View Post
One of the problems doing that is if you are the one jumping on the plane and the buyer flakes you are still out transportation, time, and possibly hotel. In this case it would definitely better if the buyer is the travelling party.
Old Yesterday, 09:19 AM
TJ D3H@rsl°

certified check, wire transfer, zelle / pp f & f week but needs to be spread out due time + amount limits. i sit on personal checks for 10 biz days.
Old Yesterday, 09:31 AM
Greg Z@y@tz

IF it's a transaction that is FAIRLY local, I have met the Buyer INSIDE a Bank to complete the deal...

Good Luck!
Old Yesterday, 11:21 AM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Seefeldt View Post
I recently sold a pretty expensive card (well over $20k) and the buyer and I did not know each other so we used REA as a middleman. I sent the card to REA and once he got confirmation that REA had the card, he paid with a cashier’s check but a personal check would have been just as good.

This is another one of the many many things that sets REA apart from other auction houses - the lost art of customer service.
Nice perk. Do they charge for this service?
Old Yesterday, 12:20 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwobhm View Post
$100 bills. Newer style with strips only. Check all 200 of them when you count it.
^^This^^ and to make it more fun sent in a USPS small flat rate box with zero insurance. They make it every time. It is the packages with a lot of insurance that disappear most often.

I have sent them registered mail but sometimes walking it across country would be faster.
Old Yesterday, 07:08 PM

Quote:
One of the problems doing that is if you are the one jumping on the plane and the buyer flakes you are still out transportation, time, and possibly hotel. In this case it would definitely better if the buyer is the travelling party.
Actually the real problem is having your stack of
cash confiscated at the airport and basically never getting it back.
Happens far more often than you think.
Do a little research on it.
Old Yesterday, 08:47 PM
Aaron Seefeldt

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkplace33 View Post
Nice perk. Do they charge for this service?
We were not charged anything but I do consign frequently with REA
Old Today, 12:55 AM
Micah L Marshall II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Seefeldt View Post

what did they charge for that service and whom paid the fee?

Completed 1986/87 Fleer Basketball

Completed 1935 National Chicle - 36/36

1933 Goudey - 208/240

I've switched my focus to comic books! looking for AF 15, Hulk 1, FF1, FF 5 and x-men 1 prefer blue CGC 2.5. I cannot afford a 2.5 Superman #! or Dective Comics #27 so would consider less grades for only those two books.