NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-25-2024, 09:01 PM
Brooks

Default Best Shipping for High Value

What the best insurance method for high value? I use Pirateship, and straight up in store but I'm keeping Fedex/USPS in business with these rates. What are you using?

Anyone using collectors insurance?
Old 05-26-2024, 03:35 PM
R@ndy Hart.soe

For single items up to $25K, USPS registered is the cheapest and safest way to ship and insure.
Old 05-26-2024, 03:47 PM
Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand1com View Post
For single items up to $25K, USPS registered is the cheapest and safest way to ship and insure.
Are you using a 3rd party USPS discount provider for better deals?

Looking For:
T206 Ty Cobb Green
1933 Goudey Babe Ruth (all four)
1951 Bowman Mickey Mantle
1953 Topps Jackie Robinson
1953 Topps Willie Mays
1951 Bowman Willie Mays
1952 Bowman Willie Mays
Old 05-26-2024, 05:28 PM
R@ndy Hart.soe

No, for anything up to a grand I use Ebay's insurance to anywhere except California which they do not cover. Anything over a grand I use the regular USPS insurance which is relatively expensive up to about $2K. Anything above that I use the USPS registered insured mail up to $25K.
Old 05-26-2024, 11:18 PM
Thomas
Th0mas Ch.urch

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand1com View Post
I never use anything but USPS registered for anything above $5k. But that’s just me. Have not had a problem in over a decade, if you don’t count occasionally a few days longer(but not always).

I am not 100% on this, but have heard FedEx only reimburses up to $1k if you lose the item, again someone else may know more about this.

I now also carry personal insurance ( collect insure) that covers transit as well.
Successful transactions: sycks22, charlietheextervminator, Scocs, Thromdog, trdcrdkid, mybuddyinc, troutbum97, Natedog, Kingcobb, usernamealreadytaken, t206fanatic, asoriano, rsdill2, hatchetman325, cobbcobb13, dbfirstman, Blunder19, Scott L. ,Eggoman, ncinin, vintagewhitesox, aloondilana, btcarfagno, ZiggerZagger, blametony, shammus, Kris19, brewing, rootsearcher60, Pat R , sportscardpete , Leon , OriolesHOF , Gobucsmagic74, Pilot172000, Chesbro41, scmavl,t206kid,3-2-count,GoldenAge50s
Old 05-27-2024, 12:02 AM
Brooks

Appreciate the advice guys. I use the ebay rates also for under 1k. I didn't think they insured over 1k. Else, I've always gone USPS and use Pirateship for less than $5k for USPS savings. Otherwise, I do a mix of FedEx/USPS but I have done a few UPS because it was shipping it 1.5 hour away (Fedex was 2x!). Is nobody else using 3rd party vendors to reduce shipping rates? Not saying I ship a TON but every bit helps. Those USPS insurance rates can get expensive.

Looking For:
T206 Ty Cobb Green
1953 Topps Willie Mays
1951 Bowman Willie Mays
1952 Bowman Willie Mays
Old 05-27-2024, 08:42 AM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

I use Shippo for most everything under $3K, and usually go with USPS Priority. However, that's mostly just for convenience, as the rates aren't much lower. For example, a small flat-rate box will ship for a little over $8. Of course higher values always go Registered.
Old 05-27-2024, 08:44 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Fed ex to nearest Best Western Plus.

Wha...Too soon?

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 05-27-2024, 09:43 AM
Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by republicaninmass View Post
fed ex to nearest best western plus.

Wha...too soon?
lol. Lmao

Looking For:
T206 Ty Cobb Green
1953 Topps Willie Mays
1951 Bowman Willie Mays
1952 Bowman Willie Mays
Old 05-27-2024, 03:00 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

If it is a one-shot deal for a sale, USPS registered. If you plan to sell and ship a lot of pricey items in multiple sales, probably best to get a dealer policy with a limit near the top price of any single item and follow the policy requirements for shipping (usually some form of signature service). If I was fortunate enough to sell a really extreme value item, I'd probably just get on a plane and hand-deliver the damned thing.

if you are moving your collection from one place to another, there is a whole secure logistics industry that moves high value items for their owners.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-27-2024, 03:52 PM
Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
If it is a one-shot deal for a sale, USPS registered. If you plan to sell and ship a lot of pricey items in multiple sales, probably best to get a dealer policy with a limit near the top price of any single item and follow the policy requirements for shipping (usually some form of signature service). If I was fortunate enough to sell a really extreme value item, I'd probably just get on a plane and hand-deliver the damned thing.

if you are moving your collection from one place to another, there is a whole secure logistics industry that moves high value items for their owners.
Aren't there a LOT of loop holes in the collections shipping insurance? I looked into just the shipping part and the exclusions are crazy. The collectors ones actually only cover shipping for up to $3k but have a $500 deductible. Whats the point if you have to pay the USPS insurance anyhow over $3k. I wish someone covered all shipping say up to $25k like the USPS (but an annual dealer price). Who do you use? Specialty insurers seem best but only up to 3k shipping + 500 deductible for pricier DEALER insurance.

Has anyone actually made a claim on sportscards through the USPS? Rumors around that they do not cover paper and cardboard products even if you buy insurance. I buy the insurance but i've never had to submit a claim.

This goes back to, how is everyone properly covering 5 digits cards? Fedex won't do that much (from that I understand). Someone clue me in as this is a confusing mess.

Looking For:
T206 Ty Cobb Green
1953 Topps Willie Mays
1951 Bowman Willie Mays
1952 Bowman Willie Mays

Last edited by BrooksRobinson; 05-27-2024 at 04:06 PM.
Old 05-27-2024, 08:18 PM
R@ndy Hart.soe

USPS registered mail will not be lost. The procedure followed requires a postal employee to handle it at each stage. The chances of losing a registered package is as close to zero as you can get.

As to a claim, you have to have good pictures of item and proof of value. I assume an Ebay sale would qualify.

I have had one claim in 25 years and they paid my declared value. The package was shipped to an authenticator and they saw the package was wet and opened and showed it to carrier.

Returned to me and claim was paid in full.

But, only one instance. I have heard many horror stories of them not accepting the declared value.
Old Yesterday, 03:29 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

This thread was moved from the water cooler section as it has some good info in it...

I ship USPS overnight for almost anything a few k and up...but USPS registered is probably the safest.
Shipping up to around 10k, USPS ovenight works for me...

Last edited by Leon; Yesterday at 03:30 PM.
Old Yesterday, 05:15 PM
Br1an N0Iff

Quote:
Originally Posted by icurnmedic View Post
I never use anything but USPS registered for anything above $5k. But that’s just me. Have not had a problem in over a decade, if you don’t count occasionally a few days longer(but not always).

I am not 100% on this, but have heard FedEx only reimburses up to $1k if you lose the item, again someone else may know more about this.

I now also carry personal insurance ( collect insure) that covers transit as well.
Be careful with Collect Insurance. I really only needed insurance for shipping and when I mentioned that to the rep, she said I would need a “dealers policy” which conveniently jumped the policy to over 1k a year from $200. She told me if I get a regular policy it’s not 💯 they would cover the claim.
Old Yesterday, 06:31 PM
Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintboy View Post
Be careful with Collect Insurance. I really only needed insurance for shipping and when I mentioned that to the rep, she said I would need a “dealers policy” which conveniently jumped the policy to over 1k a year from $200. She told me if I get a regular policy it’s not �� they would cover the claim.
Exact same experience. Furthermore, they said they will NOT cover it if it is shipping to a buyer if not dealer. It is only supposed to only be for shipping to yourself, i.e., shipping between vaults or something. Frankly, there are so many carveouts on the personal one that unless you get robbed or fire it's near worthless. The problem with the dealer one is the limit is 3k shipping with a $500 deductible. They barely cover anything is the point and I have all this in writing and many phone calls but it practically takes an attorney to nearly figure this out.

Summary: CIS covers up to 3k in dealers shipping MINUS $500 deductible. CIS personal insurance does not cover shipping to someone else, that is considered a sale i.e., dealer. If you want theft, fire protection it's fine.

Looking For:
T206 Ty Cobb Green
1953 Topps Willie Mays
1951 Bowman Willie Mays
1952 Bowman Willie Mays

Last edited by BrooksRobinson; Yesterday at 06:35 PM.
Old Yesterday, 07:16 PM
Will.i.@m $t@dy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksRobinson View Post
Exact same experience. Furthermore, they said they will NOT cover it if it is shipping to a buyer if not dealer. It is only supposed to only be for shipping to yourself, i.e., shipping between vaults or something. Frankly, there are so many carveouts on the personal one that unless you get robbed or fire it's near worthless. The problem with the dealer one is the limit is 3k shipping with a $500 deductible. They barely cover anything is the point and I have all this in writing and many phone calls but it practically takes an attorney to nearly figure this out.

Summary: CIS covers up to 3k in dealers shipping MINUS $500 deductible. CIS personal insurance does not cover shipping to someone else, that is considered a sale i.e., dealer. If you want theft, fire protection it's fine.

I’ve never had to file a claim, but they do seem to imply that “incidental sale or trade of your unwanted property or duplicates from your PC” would be covered and not considered a “dealer” transaction.

If you want a card, you might not get a deal. If you want a deal, you might not get a card.

Tags
insurance, ship, usps