View Single Post
Old 12-03-2016, 12:23 PM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
Kelly mentions in his article regarding the Mickey Mantle Action Baseball Game that a trade ad was enclosed in the box, dated 1957, which could date the game itself to late 1956 (Christmas), shortly after Mickey's Triple Crown season.

Congrats especially on your acquiring the large JELL-O point of purchase advertising placard. A genuine beauty, Mike. When Bob Lemke accurately recreated a 1963 JELL-O black raspberry complete box in spring 2015, he chose the heart of Mickey's picture on the placard to do a variant photo for the "free prize" card. A work of art, baseball card style. I value it highly. ---Brian Powell
Brian, good catch on the date of the game advertisement. I guess the article is even more informative than I originally thought, especially if I don't gloss over stuff.

Bob does fantastic work on his cards. I haven't picked up the Jello box yet, but I need to. I have a couple of his Post cereal panels and other Mantle cards and they are all really top notch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
Wow... All those are great Mantle pieces. I personally like the Rawlings advertising poster; unsure why, but it's cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
I agree, Mark, the Rawlings poster is awesome. Maybe the reason why you love it is because when you view it, it's as if you have Mickey's personal attention, and he's looking right at you, smiling. ---Brian Powell
I almost didn't try for the Rawlings poster. I typically stay away from autographed items. I like the items unmarked by pen. But I hadn't seen the poster before and figured it might be a very long time before I see another one so I went for it. Chris (Bestdj777) pointed out to me that when it comes time for my kids to sell my stuff, they might have a bigger market with it being autographed. That's probably true, but that's something they can worry about. Me, I like the poster even with the pen markings.