View Single Post
Old 05-08-2008, 10:36 AM
Administrator

Default COA Stickers Affixed to Cards

Posted By: Joe D.

Jeff,

From what I remember -

they had an older lady wait on line to get an in-person autograph from the player at a show....
she did indeed get an autograph from that person
then slickly and quickly switched the autographed item for a similar fake autographed item.
the switch happened within 10 feet (about?) going from the player's chair to JSAs chair.

It was fast - at-show authentication.

I have to say absolutely any authenticator would have fallen for it.

But now that they know the hole in the system... I am just going to guess that they tag the item before it is autographed somehow.... and then the autograph.... and then the authentication...... or - the item itself does not get back into the collector's hands until JSA gets it straight from the player.

Seriously - it was a well planned trick that would have gotten anyone.

It is not a reflection at all (IMO) of JSAs authentication ability.
I liken it more to something like someone breaking into SGC and running the slabbing machine encapsulating cards.
I wouldn't think less of SGCs grading standards if that happened. And I would think SGC would learn from the situation to safeguard against it in the future.

As far as trusting autographs in general....
I am really not into autographs - so I don't care either way. But I guess I am somewhat in your camp.

Here is my not caring much about autographs story.....

I was at a dinner once that had old Brooklyn Dodgers and old Yankees. Pee Wee Reese was at my table, with his son. At the time... boxing was my passion (I actually worked at Ring Magazine for a little bit - but that is off the point). Anyway - there I am at the dinner talking boxing with Pee Wee Reese and his son. After I complimented his world series ring - Pee Wee Reese takes it off of his finger and says put it on. My dad comes over a short while later and says 'Joe - there are a lot of stars here (there really were) - don't you want to go around and get autographs?' I hadn't asked for one autograph, and didn't plan to. I said "Dad.... I am sitting here talking BOXING with PEE WEE REESE and his SON, and I am WEARING A WORLD SERIES RING..... I think I will stay right here." To me... that memory was far better than someone's autograph.