View Single Post
Old 09-20-2018, 03:20 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

When I entered the pre-war arena I was dead-set on collecting Ruth. After all, he is the undisputed King of baseball. I quickly bought up maybe 12-15 or so Ruths while at the same time buying the occasional Ty Cobb. But when I looked at my cards, I found that I was more drawn to my Cobbs than I was to Ruth. The problem was that Ruth came into the game right after the beautiful T cards and Cracker Jacks. While I think that there are some very attractive Ruth poses, the 20’s wasn’t exactly the golden age of baseball cards. It wasn’t until the American Caramel and Goudey sets, very late in Ruth’s career, that his cards became more attractive. So I decided to focus on Ty Cobb. I loved his t206s, e95, T3, CJ, and t227, etc. Then I discovered his rare PCs and got hooked.

Collecting Ruth is like collecting Superman; Cobb is the evil villain. I kind of like that. I’ve recently started to buy Wagner PCs. I don’t love Wagner’s standard cards because let’s face it: the dude was ugly. Also I find that a lot of the e-cards are artist’s renderings that don’t really resemble him (which could be a good thing considering how ugly that guy was). I do like some of his postcards, so I’ve bought a few of those. But Cobb is my guy for some of the reasons stated above. You obviously can’t go wrong with any of them.

Last edited by orly57; 09-20-2018 at 11:18 PM.