View Single Post
Old 02-25-2022, 12:28 PM
James M.

Default What are your favorite card/hobby stores from your youth?

We all started collecting when we were young, I feel that's more or less a given when it comes to our hobby. I think all of us also had a place where we bought our packs of cards, no matter where we grew up.

Whether it be a pharmacy, a hobby store, a grocery we all had certain spots to go to. I grew up when Hobby stores, or card stores were a little more prominent. There used to be many in my area of New York, there still are to a certain extent, but not like it used to be. My personal favorite was one about two miles from where I lived, called Alex's. It was close to my Aunt's and Uncles house as well, so I was always able to stop by and buy a couple of packs or purchase a vintage card after a bit of saving. If I had to pick a store that started me on the collecting journey, it was probably that one.

As a side note, another favorite of mine, but also one I wasn't able to frequent nearly as much, was Baseball Nostalgia, up in Cooperstown. I really felt that every time you walked into the store, you were transported back in time. The handful of times I have been to Cooperstown, I would always make stopping there, one of my priorities both as a child and as an adult. I purchased one of my favorite, non Mantle, cards, in my collection there, which is a 1953 Topps Willie Mays that I still own to this very day, along with numerous other things, throughout the years. I was saddened to hear the physical store was closing at the end of 2021, but will definitely cherish the memories of going into the store and talking about the hobby.

What was your spot growing up? What is your spot now, if you have one? I'd love to hear about it. The more stories, the better.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.