View Single Post
Old 10-23-2020, 07:13 PM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlevy View Post
Maybe others can chime in on why they collect pennants, might be interesting to see how many collect strictly for the aesthetics, or because of the events the pennant is tied to. It could well be some combination of the 2, or other reasons as well. Rarity could be another factor. For me, it is 65% weighted by the events tied to the pennant versus 35% the pennant's aesthetics. That's probably why I am drawn more to dated pennants.
I like to think I’m preserving history by collecting what I do. These souvenirs were once a large part of the sport but the things sold now are just junk. I often look at things I have like this 1929 pennant and wonder if it was purchased at Wrigley Field during the World Series. I also wonder about the road it took to end up on my wall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4C2F76BA-A76D-4765-93B2-57ED22BC8C24.jpg (15.7 KB, 306 views)
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown