View Single Post
Old 04-14-2012, 10:49 AM
Kenny Cole

I live in Norman and work in Oklahoma City. We shut down early yesterday, but I still didn't make it home before the tornado hit. Thankfully for me, the tornado yesterday hit a couple of miles east of where I live. My law partner's sister lost her roof but no one was hurt. Late today and tonight is supposed to be bad.

About eight years ago, my wife and I were trying to get home from work and got trapped on an overpass on I-35 in bumper to bumper traffic. As we sat there with no place to go, a tornado dropped out of the sky and we watched it wipe out part of a neighborhood and a strip mall. After watching that I decided that a safe in my house wasn't the place to house my cards, at least not the really valuable ones.

The bulk of my collection, at least value-wise, now resides in the largest safe deposit box I could rent in a bank vault. It will hurt if my house gets hit and I lose the cards in my safes, but at least I won't lose anything that is real expensive or practically irreplaceable. That safe deposit box is the best investment I ever made for $90/year.