View Single Post
Old 05-22-2009, 11:56 PM

Default 1906 Olympics try-outs poster, in Chicago

Below is a poster/trolley car sign, for the try-outs in Chicago for the 1906 Olympics. I got it about two weeks ago, but it has the record for the longest selling cycle in my whole career of collecting. As well it the most expensive poster I ever bought per square inch. I first learned of this poster when I saw a blown up copy of it being auctioned in SCD what seems like a zillion years ago...a guy closed a restaurant and was selling the contents....I called and asked about the original, but he wasn't interested in selling it. I guesstimate that was about 7-8 years ago maybe longer....and I kept in contact with the guy...every once in a while I'd call...maybe twice a year...then when the internet came on I started emailing him now and then...Finally over the last winter we started negotiating the price and finally made the deal...actually a a package, I got another Bradley Sweaters football poster with it, post later

I've been researching it over the last week, and one interesting aspect of it is that the Goes Lithographic company that produced it is still in business in Chicago...I guess it's a pretty big concern. When I called them to find out what I could I got bounced around..then on May 18th the president of the company emailed me but didn't know to much....He was actually part of the Goes family, Charles B. Goes IV

It may have been a trolley car sign...the only thing though is it's paper...and I thought trolley signs were usually card stock.