View Single Post
Old 09-12-2015, 06:43 AM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

Default Is This Jose Canesco Championship Ring Worth Nearly $100,000?

With championship ring prices climbing for iconic athletes, any thoughts or opinions if this AL championship ring is worth close to the asking price?

A few years ago I would have laughed at this pricing. While I would not pay anywhere near the $100,000 asking price, perhaps the seller is not so crazy with his current eBay offering.

Two months ago, William Perry’s supposedly original Super Bowl XX ring, sold at auction for $203,150.00. Like Perry, Canseco will never find himself in the Hall of Fame. And like Perry, Canseco is best known for other matters than strictly what happens on the playing field.

The Canseco 1988 American League championship ring looks authentic and comes with a personally signed document from Canseco. The seller even shows pictures of him hanging out with Canseco.

Do keep in mind that other players have signed documents stating a championship ring was original and authentic and sometimes it turns out, one or both of those promises weren’t true.

I am not saying that the Canseco championship ring is not original or authentic, I’m just pointing out the perils and reality that championship ring collectors face all the time.

While the eBay auction has a “or best offer” option, we have no idea what the seller will realistically take to sell the championship ring.

Another factor that could hurt the value of this ring is that it’s not a World Series Championship ring, as the heavily favored A’s lost to the Dodgers in five games.

However, 1988 was a very special year for Canseco – In April 1988, Canseco guaranteed he would hit at least 40 home runs and also steal at least 40 bases. He went on that season to hit 42 home runs and did steal 40 bases to become the first player in MLB history to hit the 40-40 mark in one season.

Furthermore he was the 1988 MLB Home run and RBI leader, a sliver slugger winner and the AL MVP in 1988.

Any thoughts on what you feel the ring is realistically worth and what it would sell for?