View Single Post
Old 03-18-2023, 09:38 PM
Joe Gonsowski

For those who study Old Judge cards closely, a run of Fa, Fb, and Fc Detroits courtesy the February Heritage auctions (outside of my small pick-up an impressive grouping of OJs not often seen). These Fa & Fb Detroits are 1888 re-issues of 1887 zero numbered cards. While these re-issues are rarely seen they don't seem to command much of a premium as few collect all variations and are happy with the 1887 initial issue. Most Fb Detroits are new poses of new players, but Goodwin also re-issued most if not all the 1887 cards in 1888 as either Fa or Fb.

The Fa cards typically added first and middle initial (L. G. Twitchell in this case) and the Fa type was source of many misspellings (such as Ganzel becoming Gauzel, Weidman becoming G. E. Weichman, etc.).

The Fb card is Ganzel and was a new add to Carto listing for me (hadn't been studied or recorded previously). These re-issues of existing poses haven't been catalogued with same vigor although this would be first example I've seen in decades of close watching.

The Fc card is of Campau which was introduced to N172 set in 1888 with Kansas City and re-issued in 1889 with Detroit. Happy to add this image upgrade of Campau.
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers