View Single Post
Old 06-09-2023, 10:39 PM
Ciaran

Hi all

As some of you are aware, I am a massive lurker here. In fact, I have been since prior to 2009 on the “old” chat forum. I have an interest in Yankees 1920s & 1930s but very much from a cultural more than a sporting perspective. My main interest is soccer; it is a large part of my life and my soccer memorabilia collection is pretty decent.

I thought I would share a program (or programme as we call it here in UK) from a soccer match in November 1933. It is Ambrosiana-Inter versus Juventus. Across the two teams, these players represented the backbone of the Italy side that would win the World Cup in 1934. In particular, Inter had Meazza. He would captain Italy to their 1938 World Cup victory and, globally, is probably the most iconic player pre World War Two.

I post these photos as an Inter fan and season ticket holder. Tonight we play in the Champions League here here in Instanbul (where I am posting). It is a rare to very rare program.

More generally, I wanted to make a comment about program collecting. In the UK, this was the main collecting theme for decades; at least in relation to app soccer which is the primary sport here. An equivalent to card shows, we had programme fairs which were attended by hundreds and sometimes thousands of enthusiasts through the 1970s to 1990s. I attended my first Northern Ireland National Football Programme Fair in 1986 - it was the fourth year of the fair and it still is held today, albeit with less attendees. In fact, other than during COVID, it has been run every year since 1983.

http://IMG-5322

IMG-5323

IMG-5324