View Single Post
Old 07-04-2013, 10:51 PM

Default Introducing new addition to M116 Sporting Life checklist...Frank Smith, BOSTON AL

Thought I would share a new addition (as far as I can tell) to the M116 Sporting Life checklist: Frank Smith, Boston AL variation. Not long ago I came across this card, shown on the right of each of the scans, and have been unable to find any mention of it in any of the checklists for the set, nor does it come up on any internet searches I attempted. It appears that Sporting Life updated the Smith card for the 300 subjects back at some point after Frank was traded mid-season of 1910 to the Red Sox.

As a side note, the T206 set has a Frank Smith card with the funky "Chicago and Boston" identification to indicate, without changing the artwork showing a White Sox uniform, that Smith was now a Red Sox player. Fortunately for the Sporting Life folks, the uniform pictured on the M116 card is pretty plain wrap, so all they had to do was change the caption.

Does anyone else have a Frank Smith Boston card or know of one out there? Or perhaps is a Frank Smith CHICAGO card known with the 300 Subjects back?

Disclosure: If this is a new discovery, down the road I plan on sending it off to auction, as I never anticipate going after a master M116 set.

Would love to hear your comments,

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg m116smithf322.jpg (81.2 KB, 515 views)
File Type: jpg m116smithr323.jpg (77.2 KB, 512 views)