View Single Post
Old 08-17-2020, 11:45 AM
John Donovan

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamcohon View Post
I’m retired, now, but while I was working, I used to treat myself every day to a “vintage pack.” Every morning, I would grab eight or ten cards, randomly, from my collection, put a rubber band around them (yes, of course they were in hard sleeves), and slip the “pack” into my pocket.

Then, every day at lunch, I had the pleasure of “opening a pack.” It was fun to see who I got! And fun to see what years and types of cards I got. Of course, they were always old!

Now, when I travel, I often treat myself. I throw a couple of “packs” in my suitcase. It’s true, there are no wrappers to deal with, but it’s fun. Give it a try!
I really LOVE this idea. It not only helps scratch that "what's inside this pack" itch, but it also allows you to enjoy your own existing collection without spending a dime.

And that's the cool thing about vintage...even a pack full of "common" players are interesting and fun to handle and look at. I'd never even consider tossing my vintage commons in the recycle bin (which is where most of my modern commons end up).

One little fun (and sort of weird) thing I did recently: I'm slowly building a 1935 Goudey set. I have a beat up raw copy of the Ruth card, and I recently purchased an authentic 1935 Goudey wrapper. So I wrapped my Ruth in the wrapper and had it sitting on my desk for awhile. I thought it was kind of cool to have an authentic "unopened" Babe Ruth bubble gum card on my desk.