View Single Post
Old 08-12-2020, 07:24 AM
John Donovan

Default One thing missing from vintage collecting: opening packs

I made the switch from modern to vintage collecting several years ago, and I definitely enjoy it more. As I'm sure you all can agree, vintage cards just seem more interesting, historic, rare, collectible and just all around cool.

And while I still greatly prefer vintage, the ONE thing that vintage collecting doesn't provide, is the fun of opening packs of cards.

Yes, I supposed it is technically possible to buy unopened vintage packs and open them....but that would be a pricey option. (Just for fun I calculated what it would cost me to try and build my favorite set (1952 Bowman) by purchasing unopened packs. Based on a 2017 Heritage auction sale of a 6 card pack of 1952 Bowman selling for $5760, that means it would cost about $241,920 to put together the set, assuming I was EXTREMELY lucky and didn't get any duplicates )

Do any of you get the itch to open packs? Do you still buy modern packs sometimes to scratch that itch? Maybe the vintage themed products like Topps Heritage, or Allen and Ginter, or Gypsy Queen?

I still pick up a pack or two of Topps every year, just for fun...but admittedly I don't really even want the actual cards...I just want the fun of opening a pack and seeing what's inside.

Just wish I could buy those 1952 Bowman packs at retail...with a price tag of FIVE CENTS for that six card pack, that brings my set build down to about $2.10