View Single Post
Old 09-10-2023, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
How do you know? Right now it is Schroedinger's picture pack: could be a 1949, could be a stack of blank paper in there.
Schrodinger's picture pack! I like that! And the reference is not lost on me.

As you well know, the best one can do is assess the integrity of the container, as one might do for much of the unopened material that a buyer hasn't seen packaged with their own eyes (or cannot view through the wrapped with a high-intensity light). Sure, we try to create theories from best available evidence. But even if you have a real unopened rare pack and you're trying to base a conclusion about a set on it, you really can't. If a card isn't in there, you need to reproduce the event to make sure there wasn't an error at the company level. That, along with the memory of the many times I've pulled non-mint cards out of packs from packs I purchased myself from boxes at the candy store during the year of issue, is the reason why I don't buy much in the way of vintage unopened product. I only buy when I feel like I'm getting a great deal, can be reasonably sure that the pack hasn't been opened, and also never bet more than I feel I can lose in the gamble.