View Single Post
Old 02-29-2024, 04:50 PM
Curt

Frank Thomas mader a stop in Oakland as well.

The Dodgers were equally skilled at picking up aging players near the ends of their careers.

Off the top of my head: A. Vaughan, Cuyler, Maranville, both Waner Bros, Ruth (Coach), Maglie, F. Robinson, B Powell, E Murray, Bunning, Boyer, G Carter, Marichal, Thome, Pujols, Maddux, Utley, V. Romo, Belanger. I am sure given a few hours to think, I could list many more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat View Post
The A's are, and always have been, the masters of this.

OTOMH:

Cobb (2 years)
Speaker
Lajoie (although he also played there early in his career)
Billy Williams (although 2 seasons)
Cepeda (3 games, but not right at the end)
Piazza
Joe Morgan
Satchel Paige
Wheat

Other fun ones:

Ed Walsh on the Braves
Eddie Plank on the Browns
Ray Schalk on the Giants

We tend to associate Hughie Jennings with the Tigers (or at least I do) since that's the team he's on for all of his 20th century cards, but he was actually a Baltimore Oriole (19th c. edition). All those cards of Ee-yah in Detroit gear should look weird, even if they don't.

And then there are the ones that didn't actually happen. Rollie Fingers was traded by the Padres to the Cardinals on Dec. 8th 1980, and then traded to the Brewers four days later. Similarly, Robin Roberts was traded to the Yankees before the 1962 season, but then the Yankees traded him to the Orioles before the season started. His 1962 Topps card says that he's on the Yankees, but it shows him in his Phillies uniform, because he never actually suited-up for the Yanks. (Sorry, Fingers and Roberts won't help you with IG.)