View Single Post
Old 05-16-2014, 12:29 PM
J@$0n.Chri$$i$

When I got back into collecting a few years ago, it was the serially numbered and autographed modern stuff that pulled me back in. I'm really into keeping up with minor league MLBers and NFL draft prospects (mainly for Dynasty/Keeper Fantasy Leagues). So, I thought I'd try and do some "prospecting" with baseball/football cards. It was fun for a while, but it got old fast. If you want to make a profit on those, you really have to know when to sell. It would kill me everytime I'd read about a prospect blowing out his elbow, getting busted for PED's, or beating up his girlfriend. It was the ups and downs in the modern card market that wore me out.

I recently sold a majority of my higher-end autographed and serially #'d refractors in one big lot (I never really liked the relic stuff so I can't comment on those). I did ok, but only because I hit on a few guys - think Trout and Kaepernick, etc. I still have a ton of lower-end modern stuff that I'm thinking about selling as an entire collection on the Blowout forum. I'll probably end up taking about a 50% loss on that if it even sells.

I'm now fully committed to Pre-War and Vintage. I'll buy a few modern Pirates and Steelers cards just for fun. But I'm done with the "prospecting" thing.

***I've had 50+ successful BST transactions as both a buyer and a seller. Please feel free to PM me for references***

Last edited by VoodooChild; 05-16-2014 at 12:31 PM.