Thread: Latest Pickups
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2023, 10:04 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Tommy Burns...WTF?
Sometimes, it's almost like PSA has no idea what they're grading in boxing land. Sometimes I wish the graders just wouldn't do boxing; they struggle to even separate T218 and T220 for the subjects in both series even though the cards look completely different. They generally get it right in baseball, but boxing none of them seem to know anything about and shouldn't be authenticating such items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
On N310, talk about taking liberties with the artwork, they removed Hall's moustache. Here is one of the misprinted cards w/o the artwork and it shows him with stache; the sfache is gone on the full artwork card

These no-art ones are really rare. I am sooo pissed I passed on a Walcott at a show about 15 years ago.
This set is really difficult for me to checklist. There's multiple versions of the name at bottom cards, black-and-white's that are really rare, versions betraying some of the sepia but missing some 'layers' or some elements of the artwork, versions that are so heavily redone that they are a much darker reddish. There's at least 4-5 of what seem to be different types, maybe more, and separating some of them between what is just natural variance in printing a large run and what is the result of a genuine printing difference is difficult. For now I'm trying to do a set of 70 (35 name at top, 35 name at bottom) alongside however many very-different-looking cards I can find. Probably worth a full thread looking at each variant at some point. I'm struggling to ID a true master set's checklist still.