View Single Post
Old 01-04-2021, 03:09 PM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Amazing pickup Andy! Such an attractive and rare example...

Regarding the spine, I bet the spine would bleach very well, but given the value of the pennant, be sure to tape it off very carefully. You definitely don't want even a single drop of beach to touch that red felt. And I am not sure if bleach bleeding through to the reverse side is a further concern. Perhaps Rob has experience with this, and can chime in.

Another option is a spine "transplant". I have never done this, but know of a forum member here who has done it on occasion (with great results). It would involve using a "donor pennant" with a similar (if not identical) white spine. And a seamstress who can replicate the original stitching.

While I don't advocate for this, it would kill two birds with one stone... the soiled color and missing top portion. The lighter colored tack hole wouldn't bother me on its own at all... the missing top portion of the spine might. A transplant would definitely make the pennant look/display better, but you'd always know the pennant is not all-original.

For that reason, I am with Greg... leave it as-is.
This pennant has a very unique spine, it’s not felt and it’s not cloth. I don’t know how to explain it except to say it’s the same as on the 1955 and 1956 World Series pennants, the ones with the Brooklyn cap. Clearly the same (unknown) company, they also made pennants for the 1956 and 1958 NFL Championship games. It almost has a feel like canvas ... No question it would come up snow white... with very careful application (like with a dowel or plastic strip through the spine) it could maybe be improved. It’s just that near the threads, that’s where it gets shaky. The threads will likely get wet and they come in contact with the red. .... A spine transplant will look to a collector like a dog’s head on a cat, because the spine is so unique. Take comfort in knowing that, even with the issue in the upper corner, it is rare enough that it would be considered tolerable by many collectors. Good idea to just let it be. Thanks for sharing pic!