View Single Post
Old 03-02-2021, 08:18 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Johnny Sain in the HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post

I agree, Ted.

I posted this before but for those that didn't know, Johnny Sain was the first pitcher Jackie Robinson faced in his MLB debut and he also has the distinction of being the last pitcher Babe Ruth faced in organized ball.

Also, between himself and Warren Spahn, who were one of the best dynamic duos ever, a famous poem was born because of them and it goes like this.

First we'll use Spahn
then we'll use Sain
Then an off day
followed by rain
Back will come Spahn
followed by Sain
And followed
we hope
by two days of rain.

Anyways, here are my 2 copies. A graded black back correct bio and Page bio black back that I likely should get graded...
Hi Dale...... Some here on this forum may not agree with you and I regarding Johnny Sain.
To them, I suggest they read Johnny's SABR story.... https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/johnny-sain/

His post-Pitching days really tell the story of Johnny. Starting with the Yankees in 1961 (Whitey Ford and Jim Bouton). Johnny went on to be the most successful
Pitching Coach in modern BB.

In 1965 with Johnny, the Twins won their 1st pennant ("Mudcat" Grant, Jim Katt).

In 1968, Detroit was the World Champions thanks to Johnny's coaching of Mickey
Lolich and Denny McLain (31-game winner).

In 1972, Johnny became Pitching coach for the White Sox. "Goose" Gossage's rookie year. Gossage said...... "before Johnny Sain, I was just a power thrower, he
made me a Pitcher".

P.S.....I had a nice conversation with Denny McLain a few years ago at the Philly Show. I brought up the subject of Johnny Sain and Denny spent about 15 mins.
telling me all these great stories of how Sain was responsible for his success, and the Tigers beating the Cardinals in the 1968 World Series.

TED Z

T206 Reference

Last edited by tedzan; 03-02-2021 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Corrected typo.