View Single Post
Old 10-23-2021, 03:36 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Getting somewhere.

1) Edwards is obviously a bottom panel, with the big white margin.

2) On top of Edwards is 100% Donovan of ToDay. There is a light crease on back that fits perfectly between the two, and the cut matches.

3) On top of Donovan is Lavigne. Lavigne has a tiny brown mark on back that fits with a very hard to see mark on the Donovan, and the cut again matches.

4) On top of Lavigne is Jackson. Lavigne has a rip, and an old brown tape on the back to cover it up. The tip of the tape stretches onto the Jackson panel. The cut also lines up perfect.

5) On top of Jackson is Frayne, I think. the cuts fit perfect; there's a slight dip on the second Jackson card at top row that aligns with an extension on the Frayne as well in that spot.

6) I’m pretty sure this puts together a complete column, but again the caveat that without them all in hand to ensure each fit is the best fit, I can't be 100% certain.

7) Now, Goldman fits next to Donovan and above McGovern. He fits well with Donovan on the cut. He is 100% above McGovern, there is a crease that aligns and several subtle shifts in color in the tan that lines up perfectly with Terrible Terry. This leaves three unplaced panels I have in hand: Corbett, Wilson, Driscoll.

8) None of these 3 panels fit beneath Burke. The Jordan column has an unknown bottom corner card, and Gans/Dempsey/Moore beneath Jordan, in some unknown order. It's not Gans right beneath Jordan. I believe Moore must be beneath Jordan, even without it in hand. There is a crease in the bottom right of Jordan that lines up perfect with a crease in the Moore panel.

9) Beneath Moore, goes my Gans sheet. Gans has several creases in the top of the first card running upwards. This matches some creases on the bottom of the Moore panel, 1st card second row.

10) This means Dempsey logically must be beneath Gans, if my column of 5 is correct. no creases to prove it, but the cuts visually match. The top left of the Dempsey swoops up a bit, matching a dip in the cut of the Gans. I wouldn't call that proof enough, but it logically has to be here anyways, so I am satisfied this placement is very likely. This means Dempsey is also to the right of Goldman. I see no tell tale evidence for or against this in the edges of the two panels.

11) Now I have to break from what is placed. Beecher goes above Wilson, though Beecher is one I do not own. Wilson has a large swoop up in his top border, starting at card 1 and arching into card 2. Beecher matches at the bottom, with that swoop resulting in his name being pretty close to the edge. It follows the arch perfectly.

12) So there's 2 more. Beecher/Wilson don't seem to fit in the gap between Burke and Goldman, nor does it seem to slow right above Carney. That rip in Lavigne should also be visible on the card adjacent to him, 2 above Carney. It's not on any surviving cards. That the rip was strengthened with tape before the sheet was cut (or at least, before Jackson was cut off from Lavigne) strongly suggests to me that this is the case. The card to Lavigne's left should also have some of this tape, as it sharply cut off.

13) I think Corbett fits to Jackson's left; it's a close cut, but no matching marks to aid me. I would not peg this one at positive, but probable.

14) I am pretty confident that Driscoll is to Corbett's left, which puts us at least 5 panels across now, if so. The cut here fits very, very well. I'm pretty sure here, but lacking identifying marks.

15) Wilson fits well next to Gans. He does NOT fit well above Golddman or next to Lavigne though, which would also have to be true if he was next to Gans. This would put Beecher below Burke, but the crease in Beecher doesn’t seem to fit with Burke. That corner crease could have come post-cutting of course, but so far my lesson has been that damage occurred before the sheet was cut. I don’t have Beecher in hand to test the fit.

16) Beecher/Wilson might go here, or somewhere else on the left side of the sheet. I don’t know.

17) I suspect the Driscoll Glover represents the left edge and that the white margin on the left was trimmed off before sheet cutting, or there is a 6th row that would have to make some repeat panels at this point. Beecher's crease doesn't line up with him, hard to tell. That would mean Wilson to Donovan's left and above Carney. He's not quite a perfect fit with Donovan, but close. I don't have Carney to do close comparison work with.

18) So that’s 15 panels placed together, with 2 more placed together apart from the rest (Beecher/Wilson) and McCoy unplaceable because I don’t have him in hand and the image doesn’t give enough clues. The presumed other panels now must surely have existed to fill the slots.

19) 5 panels in a column makes sense from a checklist perspective. 5x5 makes a lot of sense for a 25 card series; as this was clearly intended to be. Cards measure ~2.5' x 3 5/16. 10 cards in a column, 5 unique, would be a hair over 31 inches tall without the white margins. 5 panels wide, 20 cards in a row, would produce 50 inches. It seems this sheet is 5 panels wide, or more. Pretty clearly 5 tall, I think.

20) I am now positive this was not a pass round prototype sheet like the T62. it is clearly not quite final production though, several changes were made. Beecher was corrected as noted earlier. I suspect the uneven borders on Jordan (especially) and Carney were too. I would suspect the silver layer was applied over some of the white margins; otherwise any card from the top row centered down would be found without silver at its top edge. This is not the case, so it must have been more liberally applied.

21) This seems to kill my old theories about Donovan being on an edge with James J. Corbett filling the columns above/below him, and his yanking leading to Corbett’s yanking for production ease.

22) Though not quite final production, I think it more likely than not that this is what a final production layout would be. It’s not a pass around, and re-doing it would be seemingly pointless. No sheet layout (even 2 or 3 sheets with only one total slot for each of them doesn’t account for it) can adequately account for Donovan and Corbett’s SP’ing, they deductively had to have been pulled.

23) If they were pulled, which seems the only reasonable explanation, something else probably went in the slot. Or, they manually removed and separated the cards in this slot to avoid DP’ing a card and redoing the sheet. 23 cards doesn’t come out even almost no matter what you do.

24) I cannot fit any of the E229 panels with the T220-1 panels.

25) In my photo I have used standard cards to represent sheets I do not have in hand, I don’t own enough Dempsey’s to do it quite right. Wilson/Beecher aren’t placeable with the rest yet, and so are off by themselves; they aren’t necessarily over somewhere below Driscoll, I just don’t have enough space on my table. Net54 hates quality pics and caps me at like 80kb, so this may look like crap after it slaughters the quality but I hope the idea comes through:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0732.jpg (81.4 KB, 401 views)