View Single Post
Old 10-19-2021, 06:09 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

I too have noticed the left/right side split; it’s possible these were on the same pre-production sheet and this is all a single sheet. I have to try and piece them together when I get back from my trip, but wouldn’t totally rule this possibility out yet. I think there are more panels that have not been seen yet in both sets. There’s so little uncut material from the ATC/American Lithographic partnership that I wouldn’t be shocked to learn multiple sets could appear on a single sheet. The smaller size cards do not appear to have been printed in this block format, with a card repeating horizontally as well instead of in vertical strips. I think this format was likely used on other larger size cards; Adam’s miscut of Summers (boxing pose) in T218-3 would suggest it likely used this format too. I’m not aware of anyone thinking E229 was an American Lithographic product before, but the checklist fits with them.

The seller did not seem eager to discuss the cards with me, I got two perfunctory replies totaling 11 words to my inquiries before I stopped inquiring further. My reading implied the seller, an antique dealer, found them or had them consigned by someone in this condition already, presumably local to the New York area. I think more intel will come out when the remainder appear for sale, presumably at an auction house.

Major credit to the seller for integrity. By the time he shipped the last 5 of them to me the Beecher and Moore had ended and he surely knew he was losing several $K by not reneging on the auction and simply not shipping them to me. With so many threads about shady dealings, this gentleman did the exact opposite of what seems to be so common in the hobby these days.

Last edited by G1911; 10-24-2021 at 11:14 AM. Reason: typo