View Single Post
Old 06-08-2020, 09:18 AM

Based on that series 4 image, you can see that a manager card can be put in any inset color row, as can rookie and team cards. So with some very minor adjustments, you can get rows of 11 cards each for (border/inset) B/R, B/O, R/G, R/O, Y/R, and Y/B if the last series had 66 cards stretching from 512 - 576 and including checklist 509. Doing this allows four rows of each card to be printed, hence no SPs should exist for any card in the last two series, although the scarcity, determined by print quantity is still a price factor.

I believe the same is true for the 6th series, going from 447 - 511, and including the proper color variation for checklist 431.

I understand this can't be proven beyond a reasonable doubt without seeing some uncut material, but I believe this is what Topps did in 1963 (i.e., the last two series were 66 cards each, with no SPs. If it isn't, and the price guides are correct, then there would have to be SPs in both series, and the SPs would have to occur in multiples of 11 (except for the checklists). Having four or five SPs with different border colors and/or inset colors just doesn't make sense.