View Single Post
Old 12-03-2021, 08:16 PM

Card 2 of 29
Progress: 6.9% complete
Average grade: 7

1969 Fergie Jenkins #640
PSA 7
Jenkins’ 4th of 19 base Topps cards

Why his ‘69? Tough 7th series from an understated design…perfect for a tough and understated Hall of Famer.

This classic early card of Fergie shows the focus and determination of a young pitcher who had already established himself as the ace of the franchise by this point. Not only that, but he was already regarded as one of the best pitchers in all of baseball as well. His best was yet to come.

Fergie had just come off his second straight 20 win season en route to an amazing 6 straight 20 win campaigns. The NL strikeout leader in ‘69 with 273, Fergie also set the modern Cubs record that year, only to best his own record by 1 the following season…a post-1900 mark that still stands. Naturally, Fergie remains the all time Cubs strikeout leader by a comfortable margin

Runner-up year for Jenkins: 1975 - Outstanding action shot of Jenkins in full stride. Would later learn he had just recorded the greatest pitching season in Texas Rangers history the year before (look it up!). Another memorable card I had as a kid.

Runner-up player for 1969: Tom Seaver - I know, I know…I already had him as the ‘71 runner-up. But could there be any choice other than Seaver in ‘69? I promise it won’t always be him.

Last edited by cjedmonton; 12-04-2021 at 09:48 AM.