View Single Post
Old 11-08-2021, 12:51 PM

Default A Celebration of Topps: HOF Pitchers

Hi Everyone,

I’m Chris and am just getting into postwar vintage. I wanted to share a project I have started as a celebration of the rich history of Topps.

After doing some research, it is wonderfully coincidental that every Topps set from the landmark 1952 set all the way to 1981 can be represented by every Hall of Fame pitcher who played during that time.

That’s right, each and every year from 1952-81 can be represented by a different HOF pitcher. One per year for 30 straight years with NO omissions, NO repeats (player or year)…and NO rookies. It really is remarkable when you think about it.

Added bonus for avoiding rookies…the dreaded multi-player RC.

Nearly 1/3 of this run would have been affected:

Niekro, Hunter, Jenkins, Carlton, Seaver, Ryan, Sutton, Fingers, Morris

Now, each player can be showcased on their own as they deserve.

Only Lee Smith’s 1982 RC breaks this amazing streak (again, no rookies).

Since my main focus is on each Topps design rather than grade, value, or RC status, it will not only help me keep my budget in check, but will also help me appreciate vintage for how special it is.

My lineup will be based on eye appeal, imagery, and significance of a year to the player if possible.

I’m looking forward to sharing my progress on this unique project with you all, but only plan on picking up 1-2 per month. Slow and steady.

Thanks for stopping by!

Last edited by cjedmonton; 02-05-2022 at 08:41 AM.