View Single Post
Old 01-26-2021, 01:33 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I seriously doubt that investment funds are driving the prices of vg Jackie Robinson cards. Just lots of new collectors, returning collectors, and long-time collectors, all with time and money on their hands, and in the latter case, a good dose of FOMO-better-get-it-now-before-it-goes-up-more. And these virtual communities and chat boards and blogs add to the momentum by allowing us some sorely-needed social contact in these days of isolation and boredom.

The real question is whether the bubble will pop or deflate, and to what extent. I don't see prices dropping back to pre-escalation levels on many cards. That has never been the case, as anyone who has waited 40 years for a price break on a 1952 Topps Mantle will tell you. Way I figure it is that a $900 card in 2019 that is $5,000 today may see $3,000 again but will go back up again unless some sort of catastrophe wrecks the overall economy for years. Baseball cards I sold for 'ridiculous' prices a few years ago are at or below market now. I'm not sorry I sold, just aware that this is cyclical with prices generally trending up over the years on quality materials. Similarly, I have very few quality baseball cards that I am sorry I 'overpaid' to get a few years ago.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 01-26-2021 at 01:43 PM.