View Single Post
Old 12-22-2021, 02:29 PM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I think Degrom has Hall of Fame stuff, but lacks the proverbial peak of a HoF pitcher assuming his career ended today. Like I said he would need to have a few more dominant, healthy seasons, which is possible, but considering his overall track record is unlikely.

I don't understand the comment. Putting aside 2020, he's had one year of injuries, last year. Before that (2015-19 as a regular starter) he was averaging about 30 starts a season. What are you getting at with "track record"?

Seems to be a narrative taking hold that he's struggled within injuries his whole career. Which isn't true. That would be Steven Matz.

He won 3 Cy Youngs in a row and was well on his way to a 4th last year when he came down with injuries. So any "track record" he has of being injured started last summer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Stand corrected. Two.

I am not doubting for a moment that if he doesn’t regain his form he almost certainly won’t be a hall of famer. Agree with that. Too limited a body of work.

But I do think if he puts together 4 or so very strong years and win another CY he’s on pretty good footing.

Honestly have no idea what to expect in 2022. If the Mets announced in January that he had some kind of surgery Id hardly be surprised. A strange situation where he seemed to be at odds with the team about what was going on.
Steve,

I was basing what I said off of his history.Track record might have been the wrong term, but Degrom early on in his career, had Tommy John (I want to say around 2010 or 2011, the date escapes me at the moment) the UCL issues have been around for a bit. With him being on the wrong side of his thirties, compounding with the fact he was experiencing some issues with it again this year, makes me skeptical when it comes to how the rest of his career pans out. A slightly different situation, but we saw what happened with Tim Lincecum. Burned Bright, burned early, won his two Cy Youngs and now he's out of the league. Will never reach the Hall.

Degrom, when healthy, is an absolute force. He's incredible, I don't think there's really a pitcher you would choose over him, if you needed someone in a do or die game. I want him to stay healthy, pitch another great 3-4 seasons, put together a Hall of Fame Resume. But I don't think it's likely. I hope I'm wrong.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.