View Single Post
Old 06-03-2022, 06:12 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
What ya all watching basketball and soccer for when the greatest/toughest game on the planet is currently underway in the name of the NHL playoffs.
Of course I'm biased as a Canadian.... but I truly believe if the majority of people were exposed to hockey, it would be the world's most popular sport, as it is arguably the hardest and most skilled team sport to play. Those who appreciate athletics at their highest level will love hockey. Of course, this popularity will never occur for a number of reasons.

I've seen reaction videos on Youtube where basketball and soccer fans watch hockey for the first time, and most are shocking by the skill and athleticism exhibited.

ESPN did a thorough study asking what sports are the hardest and most skilled to play.

The study featured a panel of experts from "a group made up of sports scientists from the United States Olympic Committee, of academicians who study the science of muscles and movement, of a star two-sport athlete, and of journalists who spend their professional lives watching athletes"

The analysis was based on 10 categories or skills, including:

ENDURANCE
STRENGTH
POWER
SPEED
AGILITY
FLEXIBILITY
NERVE
DURABILITY
HAND-EYE COORDINATION
ANALYTIC APTITUDE

HOCKEY was ranked the #1 team sport, scoring 71.750, second overall to boxing which scored 72.375.

Football was #3 with 68.375
Basketball was #4 with 67.875

https://www.espn.com/espn/page2/sportSkills

.... there was also a second study released in the spring I believe from a group that does unbiased studies, and they came to the same conclusion and rankings (can't remember the name of the organization or find the link to the article)