View Single Post
Old 07-26-2007, 09:26 PM
Administrator

Default Influential baseball card books...

Posted By: hank

I have a copy of "Most Valuable Baseball Cards". This 64 page full color publication covers "N", "T", "E", "W", Goudey, Bowman, Topps and many regional & anonymous issues. It was written by Christopher Benjamin in 1990 and was a Perigee Book published by The Putnam Publishing Group in New York. The front cover also features the T206 Wagner & Plank, '33 Goudey Lajoie & Ruth, '34 Gehrig, '14 Cracker Jack Cobb,and '41 Playball DiMaggio plus the '51 Bowman Mantle.
The back page states: "Full-color reproductions of the 400 most sought-after baseball cards - with a total value of over $300,000!"
I must admit that what intrigued me was the photo page of T206 backs which includes all the usual suspects plus a Brown Old Mill Southern League factory overprint in red ink, a Ty Cobb back and a Hustler Little Cigars Baseball Series back along with a Hustler box. The description relating to Hustler says: "Does it exist? Burdick's 1938 and 1946 catalogs listed Hustler as one of the T-206 brands, but no cards with Hustler backs have been confirmed. Such a card would be worth a minimum of $5000."
It also priced the Cobb back at a minimum of $6000 and Wagner at $90000, "although actual prices have been much lower".
The colorful images make this a neat little book which was originally priced at $10.95. ISBN# is 0-399-51592-5.
Thanks for mentioning it as it gave me an opportunity to glance through it once again.