View Single Post
Old 08-02-2020, 12:15 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default Joe DiMaggio 56 Game Hitting Streak Game Used Ball

Very happy & lucky to find this out there. A rare game used baseball from game 21 of DiMaggio's 56 Game Hitting Streak.

Seller "Recently found at an estate in NW Michigan from a Glen Lake cottage built in the 1930's is a Game Baseball from a New York Yankees at Detroit Tigers game played on June 5th 1941." and no reason to doubt the story, as seller is from Michigan and no history of baseball items, but a good long time seller.

Love when the ball is found in the home state of the home team or player. I think that adds to it. Also the ink is vintage and the Reach (faded but visible) stamping matches up to a 1941 A.L. Ball.

Guessing from what the original attendee of this game in '41 wrote on the ball was this could be a foul ball off Frankie "The Crow" Crosetti's bat pitched by Hall of Famer Harold "Hal" Newhouser, who the person wrote Harold as he was only 20 years old and maybe didn't go by Hal just yet. No real other reason to note Crosetti on the ball who went 0-4.

DiMaggio's only hit in this game (to keep the streak alive) was a triple in the 6th inning, Crosetti batted 2 batters later and flied out. Was this the ball DiMaggio tripled with then Crosetti knocked it out of play? I wish, but who knows.

Also, when I was looking at the box score I noticed Bill Dickey wasn't in the lineup this game which I found odd since he was their starting catcher. But researching it more, Dickey and Joe McCarthy were not at this game in Detroit because they were attending Lou Gehrig's funeral. Dickey being Gehrig's roommate when they played together.

I had the case made for the ball. I could only find 2 other balls from his Streak that have come to auction. So I feel this is a pretty rare significant find.

Sold at Heritage for $1320.00
Attached Images
File Type: jpg d1.jpg (40.3 KB, 753 views)
File Type: jpg d2.jpg (72.3 KB, 753 views)
File Type: jpg d3.jpg (71.9 KB, 757 views)
File Type: jpg d4.jpg (72.2 KB, 756 views)
File Type: jpg d5.jpg (76.0 KB, 752 views)
File Type: jpg d6.jpg (75.7 KB, 757 views)
File Type: jpg d7.jpg (75.9 KB, 751 views)
File Type: jpg d8.jpg (13.5 KB, 740 views)
File Type: jpg d9.jpg (20.3 KB, 747 views)

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 08-02-2020 at 03:28 PM.