View Single Post
Old 08-05-2022, 08:15 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
This issue has been discussed before. They go into the bankruptcy estate and you become an unsecured creditor UNLSSS you record a UCC-1 in the state where the vault is located to put the world on notice of your ownership of the items. If you do that you elevate to the status of secured creditor and you are able to ask the court to return your items to you. If you do not, your cards get sold and maybe you get some money after all of the case costs, taxes and secured parties are paid off.
Adam,

I defer to your knowledge, but I thought there was a difference in if you say consigned items to an auction house or sent them to a TPG who was holding on to them while being auctioned or graded, as opposed to having a valid lease type agreement where you technically rent space to store your personal items in. For example, if I rent an apartment and the landlord goes bankrupt, I've never heard of a tenant's furniture and belongings suddenly being at risk of sale by the bankruptcy court. Same thing for a bank safe deposit box or even a rental unit space. I've never had a vault space, nor seen an actual agreement they have someone sign. But I'm wondering if it isn't more like an actual leasing of space than just someone else holding your property. Interested in your answer. Thanks.