Thread: Cross Registry
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2021, 09:05 AM
Steve Birmingham

To work well, it would probably require access to each included companies database. I can't imagine PSA allowing it since a big piece of what keeps them at the top is the prices driven by the registry.

Many databases are probably either unavailable, or no longer exist. GAI? Plus how many other defunct companies.

The idea is a really good one, but I'm not seeing it operating easily like a grading companies own registry.

Rather than make a straight grade translation what I think would work better would be weighting the grade based on both the card and the grading company, with a little flexibility for stuff the company would have most likely gotten right.

Like my Delong graded by Acu-Card. It says it's a 7, but it's trimmed. My impression of Acu-Card is that they could get the authenticity right, but couldn't tell about alterations. So I might weight all Acu-Card grades at the bottom while giving PSA, SGC Beckett etc the top of the weighting scale.

A way to track cards known to be altered or clear mistakes would be good too. Like all the stuff outed as trimmed on blowout being automatically considered an "A" and noted as such.

A good feature would be including ungraded cards as well.

Lots of work to make it a real working thing, and I'm not really seeing how to even make it pay for itself unless you get enough traction to charge grading companies a fee to integrate their database. And that brings up a bunch of conflict questions, like a new sketchy grading company paying for inclusion to buy some legitimacy.