View Single Post
Old 06-21-2020, 03:42 PM
Phil

Default Creased vintage cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Any card I receive that's graded EX (or better) and arrives with a crease gets returned immediately. I have had to resort to emailing sellers up-front, to ask if there are any existing creases or surface wrinkles. Even for raw cards graded as high as EXMT. If they fail to reply (which is rather frequent), you can safely assume there's a crease or wrinkle they failed to disclose.

Even the best of scans often are not good enough. You need to ask specifically, if you want to collect crease-free cards. Simply put.... most sellers are LAZY!

The worst (to me) are cards graded PSA 4. The vast majority of eBay Sellers NEVER take the time to describe the card itself. They simply rely on and state the random and variable PSA grade. There's no way to tell if the "4" grade is due to corner wear or a crease that fails to show up (unless you ask before you buy).

Hope this is helpful, and best of luck!
With my 53 Bowman set I have been assembling I began with cards in vg to vg/ex condition and at first there weren't any problems. As I got to the last few I needed to finish the set I began to receive cards that had wrinkles and in one case paper loss on the back that wasn't mentioned in the description. I previously mentioned a 53 Berra that was listed as a PSA 4; the card looked nice but up close there were several wrinkles at the top left corner. I wanted to like the card, but I finally decided to send it back and search for another in excellent condition, instead.

I've learned that a number of sellers are very "liberal" in their grading. There's also a certain amount of laziness when a seller depends solely on the posted image of a card, rather than giving some explanation as to its appearance. For the rest of my upgrades, I am going to purchase cards in excellent condition that I can clearly see and receive answers if needed before I make a purchase.

I need the following upgrades in Excellent condition: Williams, Rizzuto, Wilson, Stanky, Marion, Cain, Nuxhall, Pierce, Hodges, Spahn, Easter, Rush, Drews, Boyer, Mitchell, Berra, Michaels, A. Clark and Abrams.