View Single Post
Old 01-17-2021, 10:17 PM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASF123 View Post
This seems plausible to me. I'm 44, and our generation by and large had some connection to the previous one - the bands they listened to, the players they watched, etc. The Beatles and the Stones were still a part of our world, as were Mickey, Willie and Hank.

I don't get that sense from the next generation. It seems like the link to the past has been pretty much severed, and things from before their lifetimes hold very little interest or relevance. Of course this is a huge generalization, but I do think there's something to it. I would imagine the pace of technological change has a lot to do with it.

EDIT: I thought of another example - TV shows. When I was growing up, reruns of shows from the ‘50s and ‘60s were common on networks like Nickelodeon. I don’t think that happens much now, what with the massive amounts of new content available. I know Friends is still popular with young people, but I think that’s the standard nostalgia for things from their childhood, rather than something being relevant that came before their lifetimes.

I think that's a very accurate description. Most of the Millennial and Post Millennial generations are very much only concerned with the "Here and Now." It's certainly a cultural shift, I blame social media partially for it. The only History they seem concerned with are things that happened right around the time they were born, or "manufactured Nostalgia" as I like to call it. We see this with certain brands or clothing items taking off after appearing in a Television show. It's a generalization sure, but I'd say 9/10 teenagers I work with fit this mold.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.